Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

Diet Soda Linked to Depression...

<< < (2/10) > >>

Miss Philicia:
It's much harder to avoid artificial sweeteners than you think, it's not just in the obvious culprits. Evidently it's also in benign items like hamburger buns. I've been planning on reading "Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease" by Dr. Robert Lustig. There's an hour-plus clip on youtube called "ôSugar: The Bitter Truth" that he's known for.

OneTampa:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on January 21, 2013, 09:28:36 PM ---I bet your diet soda-induced depression caused you to neglect your flu shot this year. THINK ABOUT IT.

--- End quote ---

Ms. P., Ms. P., Ms. P....Now I woke up this morning feeling all refreshed and smiley faced. Brushed my teeth, flossed said teeth and gargled, showered, put on some comfort wear, drank some hot tea, skipped down the hall, logged onto the PC and came to the Boards here. I then skimmed the "chat abouts" and came to this thread I started yesterday and your comment.

Honey Suckle Rose, you just will not let that dew drop, won't you?  :) I drank diet soda for over 20 years, always got a flu shot and have never been knocked off my my feet sick with the flu.

Nonetheless, I restate that I do find it intriguing about diet soda and the link to depression.  So, the oversized sweet drinks (a la New York City Bloomberg) are getting banned from public consumption and now the artificial sweetened ones are due for review. Can bottled water (the plastic!!) versus tap be far behind?

Jeff G:
I used to only drink water , coffee or tea but now I drink at least 3 diet cokes a day . Its a bad habit in my opinion . My best buds are probably the most hydrated men in America , they are never without a soda in hand , never . My friend Tim drinks about a 12 pack of regular mountain dew a day and his bf drinks a couple of liters of diet soda a day . I'm convinced some of the health problems they have are linked to the soda's they swill everyday . Tim drinks all that caffeine and sugar and takes about 3 goody powders a day and bitches about headaches constantly . Its frightening how much of what passes for nutrition comes out of a can these days .     

Ann:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on January 22, 2013, 02:26:10 AM ---My new theme is to drink hot water with juice from half a lemon. Yolanda Foster is very obsessed with this.

--- End quote ---

I've been doing that for years now first thing in the morning - I find it's a good way to clear the mind and palate before going on to coffee or tea.

I also drink lots of water (tap water, it's very good where I live) and have lately been putting a slice of lemon in that as well. It tastes good, and it keeps my cats from trying to drink out of my glass (they hate lemon). They always have two full bowls of fresh water available, but they seem to think it tastes MUCH better coming out of mum's glass.

I rarely drink soda, and never diet soda. I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, particularly the after-taste they always seem to leave. After reading these reports, I'm glad.

About the only soda I do drink these days is (non-diet) ginger ale (Canadian Club, natch) when I'm feeling nauseous and it does help. I have the odd Pepsi when I'm feeling wild and crazy. ;D

Miss Philicia:
I drink a lot of water (filtered tap, courtesy of the Delaware River watershed), and otherwise coffee or tea (no sugar in either). I do have a soda from time to time, but I never buy those giant 2 liter thingies. But more often it's something like DRY blood orange soda, or the generic form of this at Wegman's called frizzante. Actually DRY makes a lot of tasty flavors: rhubarb, cucumber, juniper berry -- expensive so it's just a rare treat. Or good to add in some vodka :) I like those little Pellegrino sodas too -- they have a blood orange one called "Aranciata Rossa" now. They also have something called "Sanbitter" if you like the flavor of Campari.

Oh, and I'm a huge fan of Jarritos, the Mexican line of flavored soda -- and they use cane sugar not HFC. They have great flavors like tamarind, guava and mango.

Now if only I could locate passion fruit soda my life would be complete. But again, I view these items as treats and usually only buy one at a time, so maybe one a week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version