Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Changing jobs - What should I do?

(1/2) > >>

contagion:
Hi,
I'm changing jobs and thus insurance soon. I don't expect the gap between the two jobs to be more than a week. My new company says it takes 30 days for them to provide benefits. (not sure why, but I'm sure it is just a disclaimer). I've managed to get 2 months of meds from my current provider. I'm planning to order a generic verison of Atripla from one of the online pharmacies (any recommendations?) just as a backup. Do I need to do anything else? A friend told me I won't require Cobra.

bocker3:
Well, you would only need COBRA if you have expenses that you can't afford to cover during your brief period without insurance.  I believe that you have 60 days to apply and that, once you pay for it, your coverage goes back to the day your employer provided insurance ended.  So....  you can "roll the dice" and assume you won't need any for the week or weeks that you will be without coverage.  If something does come up, well, you can apply for the COBRA coverage then.

Mike

zach:
you seem to have your meds covered, but i would also be concerned about letting coverage lapse. you may want to clarify about the cobra, the scenario you describe basically says that for at least one week, you will not be insured. insurance companies love to use that type of thing against you. however, as rapidly as laws have been changing, i really don't know.

contagion:
Thanks for the reply guys. Yes I'm concerned about not being covered by my new insurance company because I suddenly fall into the pre-exisitng condition clause.

bocker3:

--- Quote from: contagion on January 20, 2013, 02:50:57 AM ---Thanks for the reply guys. Yes I'm concerned about not being covered by my new insurance company because I suddenly fall into the pre-exisitng condition clause.

--- End quote ---

Assuming that you've had insurance for at least a year and you do not go more than63 days uncovered, your new employer can NOT impose any pre- existing limitations on you.
You should ask your curreny employer / health insurer fora certificate of creditable coverage.  This will show you are not to be subject to pre- existing limitations ( assuming less than 63 days uncovered).

M

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version