Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Where can I find "posting for dummies"

(1/8) > >>

gulfcoastFL:
Hi Everyone,
New here. Where can I find a tutorial kind of thing here?
Posting, quoting someone properly (Sorry Miss P.), just
explanations of how to get the most out of posting
in the forums.

Thanks all!

mitch777:
Hey Gulf!

Welcome!
I would be the LAST person you would want advice from on this topic as I am pretty computer/forum "handicapped".
It took me forever to notice the "quote button" or whatever you call it in the upper right corner of each post.
Try that for starters.
I don't think there is any sort of tutorial help on this site.
If you are more computer capable than me (I hope so, for your sake ;D), ask specific questions and people will do their best to help you.
(In my case, their best at explaining "how to" doesn't usually register well in my brain cells. ;D)
You will also learn as you go.
m.

red_Dragon888:
So far so good.  Just express yourself and learn along the way.  State your subject, anything that tickles your fancy, add your message, quotation marks unnecessary, then wait and see.

p.s.  web address are always helpful if your topic is related to a website.

p.s.s.  I'd just did a search and found this.  I hope it will be helpful.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-build-an-audience-for-your-google-posts.html

mitch777:
another tip that took me forever to discover:

if you are replying to a post and hit "send", make sure you see your post before you go any further.
if you see the message that others have posted (while you were typing), you will need to hit the post "button" again.
there were many times this happened to me and I ended up having to re-type my entire post. ::)
hope this helps.
(a tutorial on these quirky issues would be helpful on this site for newbies and computer challenged, but I doubt it is a realistic idea) :P

leatherman:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on January 16, 2013, 04:53:59 PM ---if you are replying to a post and hit "send", make sure you see your post before you go any further.
if you see the message that others have posted (while you were typing), you will need to hit the post "button" again.
there were many times this happened to me and I ended up having to re-type my entire post. ::)
hope this helps.

--- End quote ---
hit preview first. not only can you check that your post looks like you want and says what it should; but you'll see if anyone has posted while you were typing.

if you write a big post or take a long time writing, do one of 2 things to NOT lose your post. Either write it offline (in Word, Notepad, etc) then copy and paste it here. Or just before you hit either preview or send, click in the box, click ctrl-A (to highlight all), the ctrl-C (to copy) your post. IF everything screws up and your post gets lost into the ether, you can simply get back to a posting box and ctrl-v to paste what you had written.

oh! :o and don't forget ::) to use emoticons :D to help people understand whether you're being snarky  :P or nice  :-* with your replies. of course, others will say not to use emoticons  :'( but that's clearly why they are so often misunderstood. LOL ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version