Main Forums > Living With HIV

Brain Fog Revisited

(1/2) > >>

Maestro:
This may have been discussed before, but I was wondering how long after infection the brain fog sets in?  Do you see a worsening, or does it come at once and hit a plateau?

I am curious because I was reading an article on AIDS dementia and how the defenition of that has changed over time.  I think I was reading on www.thebody.com .  Anyways, towards the end it was saying that the neurological disorders usually came late in an HIV infection but offered nothing to support that.

It was also interesting that I read that HIV was causing the neuropathy.  I thought it was the meds doing that.  Learning something new every day.

Here was the article http://www.thebody.com/nmai/dementia.html

By the way, just to inject an ounce of humor, and hopefully not offend anyone, I was looking at the title of my post, and thinking if you have brain fog really bad, then perhaps this subject isn't revisted, but a first look!

M

Alain:

Maestro:
Read that already.  That seemed to be more of people describing the symptoms...

megasept:
M: brain fog sets in at the conclusion of the Fall Network New Season. So I answered your humor question first. When you joke about death and disease you liberate us from fear. I like "brain fog". Maybe a sick sense of humor keeps sickness at bay?!  ;)

I will worry about HIV-caused dementia when...
...I am demented (or if I am really demented I would probably be worrying about something imaginary).

Seriously, it is not something in all of our futures. I have seen it twice. I don't worry about what I don't have, and I am more of a realist than an ostrich. I try to focus on the here and now, and perhaps what seems to be around the corner.
-megasept  8)

DanielMark:
This may have been discussed before, but I was wondering how long after infection the brain fog sets in?  Do you see a worsening, or does it come at once and hit a plateau?

Hi M,

I don't believe there's any one-size-fits-all answer to your question. There are many factors to consider besides HIV in evaluating instances of brain fog, like age, diet, stress levels and so on. I doubt it can be diagnosed to any set time frame after infection.

For instance, I’m nearly 47. I live with an anxiety disorder. On occasion I get what I call brain farts. Some people call them “senior moments.” Like the morning I got up from the computer to use the bathroom, came back and my coffee cup was gone. I looked for it for a good 20 minutes – growing ever more agitated – until I discovered it in the microwave oven where I had put it to warm it up.  ::)

Daniel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version