Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Queensland scientist develops treatment to 'keep HIV in check'

<< < (2/5) > >>

contagion:
I always look for the defacto disclaimer

--- Quote ---However, any treatment using this method would be years away
--- End quote ---

Still trying to be optimistic though  ???

Jmarksto:

--- Quote from: mecch on January 18, 2013, 04:14:40 AM --- ::) I have discovered a way that I might become the Sultan of Brunei, though human trials won't start before 5-10 years from now.  :o

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: J220 on January 18, 2013, 12:34:31 AM ---there's been a ton of crap that has worked in the lab, but not in vivo...I'll get excited when they test it on actual people and it works....

--- End quote ---

I feel very, very different.  I wholeheartedly welcome these unproven (in terms of treatment viability) research findings...knowing that they very well may not be the cure (or a functional one) themselves. Every one that fails is an opportunity to learn and you never know where the learning will lead to - each failure is a another step closer.

The way science and innovation works is that you need to have multiple "failures" and continue to try different new approaches and true "breakthroughs" are rare.  Yes, the process takes time and there are many, many approaches that dead-end, but that is the process and the more ideas you have at the beginning, the more likely you are to have one of them work.

There is a great TED Talk video about an exercise on collaboration. Teams are given some spaghetti, string, tape, and a marshmallow and they compete to see how high of a tower they can build and kindergartners outperform MBAs.  Why? because the MBAs start with one "plan" and build, the kindergartners practice successive and iterative prototyping (where many of their attempts fail, but they learn from failure).

http://www.ted.com/talks/tom_wujec_build_a_tower.html

I am a proud (albeit realistic) "curista",
JM

JazJon:
Interesting stuff as always.

Reddit is not very impressed though: (see comments)
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/16ua06/australian_scientists_may_have_found_potential/

The Quest Trials happening in San Francisco are only months away. (not years) and might accomplish similar things for a possible functional cure or even cure.

mecch:
I was just joking about the usual phrases that the scientists and university pr people put in these research reports.  Thats all.  No cut on the posters here, nor on the researchers, and I am glad things continue to move forward.

Jmarksto:

--- Quote from: mecch on January 19, 2013, 12:15:56 PM ---I was just joking about the usual phrases that the scientists and university pr people put in these research reports.  Thats all.  No cut on the posters here, nor on the researchers, and I am glad things continue to move forward.

--- End quote ---

Hey Mecch;  Apologies for my misinterpretation...I need to work on my sense of "HIV humor"  - I am admittedly still a little too serious about this stuff.

JM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version