Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

generic drugs

<< < (3/5) > >>

Ann:

--- Quote from: buginme2 on January 15, 2013, 03:26:18 PM ---
How do you feel if your insurance compay (or govt insurance) told you you had to switch off your brand named combo (atripla/stribild whatever) and would only pay for individual generics?   There is something about that that doesnt sit well with me.  I just dont like it. 

--- End quote ---

It wouldn't bother me in the least - in fact I would welcome it.

I take a total of six different meds every single day. The only ones that aren't generic are the hiv ones. The generic meds I take are every bit as effective as the equivalent name-brands.

I'm also currently on an antibiotic - also generic. And if I happen to develop thrush from the antibiotic (I often do), I have generic fluconazole on hand to deal with it.

I actually don't like it when I'm given a name-brand drug when a generic is available. I prefer to know that health-care costs are being cut, thereby allowing more people to have good medical care.

YellowFever:
The study seems to pinpoint the drop in effectivity of generics down to adherence. Now what I don't get is that if you switched from Atripla to three different pills, do you need to have three different dosing schedules as well? One before meals, one after meals, one before bedtime? If not, then I don't see a problem taking 3 pills once a day at the exact same time.

Newguy:
It is the same active ingredient in both the brand name and the generic. In many cases you are paying for the marketing costs.

I once worked for a big brand name candy company. I was shocked when a no name brand order was placed. It was the same product in no name packaging! LOL

Best to all.

Ann:

--- Quote from: YellowFever on January 16, 2013, 11:52:19 AM ---The study seems to pinpoint the drop in effectivity of generics down to adherence. Now what I don't get is that if you switched from Atripla to three different pills, do you need to have three different dosing schedules as well? One before meals, one after meals, one before bedtime? If not, then I don't see a problem taking 3 pills once a day at the exact same time.

--- End quote ---

Nope, the meds in the one-pill combos can be taken all at once, regardless of how many pills are involved. The combo I'm on entails four pills once a day. I chuck them down my throat all at the same time, just like I would if only one pill was involved.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get what the big deal is. ???

--- Quote from: Newguy on January 16, 2013, 08:25:19 PM ---It is the same active ingredient in both the brand name and the generic. In many cases you are paying for the marketing costs.

I once worked for a big brand name candy company. I was shocked when a no name brand order was placed. It was the same product in no name packaging! LOL

Best to all.

--- End quote ---

'Zactly. You pay for the name - and the copyright.

Jeff G:
Back in the olden days of sustiva my doctor seemed to be doing the happy dance when he switched me over to Atripla , kinda like I was going to get sliced bread for the first time . I joked with him about how was I going to manage all the new spare time coming my way and thanked him from sparing me certain death lurking around every corner from a two pill burden . I think I ruined his moment .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version