POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 07:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24010
  • Latest: menghi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 646722
  • Total Topics: 49270
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 134
Total: 136

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Doctors appointments and work.  (Read 837 times)

Offline LiveWithIt

Doctors appointments and work.
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »
How do you handle having to leave early from work to go to a doctor's appointment?  Does your employer know about your status, do coworkers know?  If you want to remain private what do you say you have to go to the doctor for?
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline buginme2

Re: Doctors appointments and work.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »
Since the majority of appointments now are routine and scheduled many months in advance (I am now on a every 6 month appointment with the HIV doc) it is much easier to schedule appointments either before or after work or on a day off.

In the beginning when I was going more frequently it was harder to schedule.  However, no one ever asked why I was going to the doctor.  Its a private matter, if anyone would to ask I think I would just say "its a check up" and leave it at that.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
Do you have any times that you don't work that you could see the doctors?

Also, I am confused. Is someone ASKING what you are going to the doctor for? Its nobody's business!!  Certainly no one needs to know...

I can imagine a work setting that does NOT respect workers privacy. But it would suck.  I hope thats not your situation.  But if it is, perhaps some more details could help people here come up with some specific advice or ideas for your dilemma.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:42:28 AM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »
I don't see it as anybody's business when I go to the doctor and just take sick leave if I require additional time.  In my case, and for 20 years, I worked about 10 blocks from the doctor's office and just went around lunch time when my appointments were more frequent.  For the last several years my appointments have been twice a year and since I telecommuted 1 day a week, I scheduled the appointments on that day way in advance. I am now in between permanent jobs but just landed a consulting job working from home.  So, I still have the freedom for now.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:45:42 PM by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline ds4146

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:36:08 PM »
"Doctor's Appointments" are a general term which may include seeing a Dentist, Counseling or your Doctor and no one should be asking specifics and I would not give them.
If you have sick time at work, I would schedule in advance, give your boss advance notice and take it as sick time..
For the longest time I use to schedule my appointments prior to or after work, no more. Love my job, however if I am not healthy I am not productive. Don't milk the system and be responsible and there should be no issues. If there are you should seek assistance from your HRG if you have one, or supervisor.
Sick time is for more than just being ill.
Again, they don't need the details.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.