Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Confusion regarding Fozamprenavir

(1/2) > >>

Rockin:
Ok, as some people here know, I changed my main drug, Atazanavir, to Fozamprenavir due to a relentless increase in my bilirubin levels that left me with a permanent yellowness in my eyes.

I did the switch in June (I think) and, on my last blood test in October, I was still UND and with a rising CD4 of 430. I also moved to the UK and I am continuing my treatment here.

However...on the label of Telzir (the lab name of Fozam) it says "1 tablet 2 times a day". I found that very weird because my previous doctor never said anything about that....so ever since June I've been taking 2 tablets of Fozam along with 1 of Norvir and 1 of Truvada.

I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for next week but I wanted to know if anybody has any information about this, especially Newt if he's available. I'm concerned about 2 things: a) That I might be screwing up my treatment on the long run and b) that I will in fact have to start taking Telzir 2x a day. The reason why I like my current treatment is the fact that I take all my pills in the morning with breakfast and don't have to think about it for the rest of the day. I know I might be complaining about something small but it actually makes a huge difference to me.

Anyway, if anybody has some information let me know, I'm quite concerned.

Miss Philicia:
If you look it up here you can see it's approved for three different dosages.  I think since you switched from your previous PI for reasons of side effects you should still be able to take the current PI as 2 tablets once daily, but perhaps your doctor thinks differently. Anyway, I don't think you're screwing up current or future treatment so rule that out. I'd just point out what's approved to your doctor's office and ask for a clarification and hope that they change it to the other way.

Rockin:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on January 02, 2013, 04:53:56 PM ---If you look it up here you can see it's approved for three different dosages.  I think since you switched from your previous PI for reasons of side effects you should still be able to take the current PI as 2 tablets once daily, but perhaps your doctor thinks differently. Anyway, I don't think you're screwing up current or future treatment so rule that out. I'd just point out what's approved to your doctor's office and ask for a clarification and hope that they change it to the other way.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Miss P...I only saw the UK doctor once and apparently she's not working at the clinic anymore so I'm seeing a new one next week and I'll talk to him/her. Maybe there was a bit of confusion. I don't think they even use Telzir much because they never have at the pharmacy, I usually have to request it a few days before I go there to get my new supply.

newt:
What Miss P said

There are 3 approved doses:

- 2 x 700mg tablets twice daily
- 2 x 700mg tablets in combination with 1 or 2 100mg capsules of Norvir once daily, or
- 1 x 700mg tablet in combination with 1 x 100mg capsule of Norvir twice daily

But, if you are seeing your doc soon, ask about darunavir (Prezista). It's less Novir (1 x day) than other PIs and, hey hey, free on the NHS, and 1 x day dosing and has less lipid side effects than fosamprenavir.

At least ask about 1 x day fosamprenavir dosing. It works.

- matt

Rockin:

--- Quote from: newt on January 02, 2013, 05:01:56 PM ---What Miss P said

There are 3 approved doses:

- 2 x 700mg tablets twice daily
- 2 x 700mg tablets in combination with 1 or 2 100mg capsules of Norvir once daily, or
- 1 x 700mg tablet in combination with 1 x 100mg capsule of Norvir twice daily

But, if you are seeing your doc soon, ask about darunavir (Prezista). It's less Novir (1 x day) than other PIs and, hey hey, free on the NHS, and 1 x day dosing and has less lipid side effects than fosamprenavir.

At least ask about 1 x day fosamprenavir dosing. It works.

- matt

--- End quote ---

Thanks Newt, I feel much better now. I'll ask about Prezista but do you think there might be any problem in switching the main drug 2x in less than 12 months? Some doctors think it's dodgy to do that, even while UND.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version