Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Why Washington Is Broken

<< < (4/4)

leatherman:

--- Quote from: bocker3 on January 07, 2013, 07:30:52 AM ---If they just let bills be about what they are about and not tack on other things it would all work more smoothly.  But then - they wouldn't all be able to "serve their constituents" because their bills wouldn't pass.

--- End quote ---
it's this kind of brokering/compromising that makes it all work though. We'll spend XX amount of dollars on a project in your state, if we spend XX amount of dollars on a project in my state. That's how compromise between the states has worked. If there wasn't such a thing as "states rights" perhaps the federal government, with it's unlimited superior power, could appropriate money for individual projects and maybe that would put the money where it could do the best job; however since we are a collection of states, money can only go to a project with compromises as to where else other money will and won't be spent.

bocker3:

--- Quote from: leatherman on January 07, 2013, 11:44:05 AM ---it's this kind of brokering/compromising that makes it all work though. We'll spend XX amount of dollars on a project in your state, if we spend XX amount of dollars on a project in my state. That's how compromise between the states has worked. If there wasn't such a thing as "states rights" perhaps the federal government, with it's unlimited superior power, could appropriate money for individual projects and maybe that would put the money where it could do the best job; however since we are a collection of states, money can only go to a project with compromises as to where else other money will and won't be spent.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, this is how it used to be -- before compromise became a 4-letter word.  Now, when something is in a bill that has nothing to do with the name of the bill, it is decried as "Pork".  Hence my comment about Pork being in the eye of the beholder........

Of course there are also those additions that aren't about the good of any "state", but about the good of a large campaign donor -- i.e. NASCAR, ExxonMobil, etc -- of course, it is dressed up as "jobs" or "economic impact" for that area.

Mike

leatherman:

--- Quote from: bocker3 on January 07, 2013, 06:01:44 PM ---before compromise became a 4-letter word

--- End quote ---
and isn't that the sad part??

i keep seeing more and more comments about how the problem actually lies with only the uncompromising red Republican conservative religious Southern states - somehow I'm not surprised though, living here in bible-thumping NASCAR TEA-party country  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version