Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Why Washington Is Broken

(1/4) > >>

RobbyR:
If the US Government were a business or employee, they'd have been fired long ago for their lousy management of the economy and the ability to get anything done at all. A bit of history, just so we're clear on how we got into this dreadful mess. First of all, signing the Free Trade Agreement known as NAFTA in the 1990s was a disaster for American workers and job creation in this country. It strengthened faceless multinational corporations and made outsourcing American jobs the norm. The disastrous deregulation that occured in the 80s, 90s, and 00s made financial services a massive business that led to bloated corrupt banks and unaccountable business practices and investments.

Then of course came George Bush and Iraq. It was a war of choice, not necessity, and he installed tax cuts when we were spending billions on a war of choice. My theory is maybe he had a teeny tiny dick and felt inadequate so maybe he felt like he would go get Saddam Hussein to make him feel better. At any rate, we all know how it turned out. It bankrupted us, and ruined our economy. When he left office, we were losing 700,000 jobs a month. I lost my decent paying job in December, 2008. To this day, I have not found a job that payed as good as the one I lost then. So I blame Bush and his corporate cronies and war mongerers for our economic problems too.

I also think America started going wrong when we stopped MAKING things. You can's sustain a great prosperous country on McDonalds, Walmart, and lousy service jobs. I grew up hearing about my uncles and cousins talking about working for unions in the mines, for Ford, GM, and the WPA. They made good money and built the infrastructure of this country and were proud of their work. They could point to it and say, "I helped build this". Now, it seems there is hardly any middle class left if any at all. What the hell do we build anymore? Big Macs? We need to stop outsourcing and somehow incentivize corporations to keep jobs here. If we don't, we will sink. Successful countries make things, they don't survive on imports.

Everyone I know is struggling to make ends meet. I have had to take two jobs that are totally outside my field of study because of lack of jobs. Since the Republicans apparently want to destroy unions, which provide dignity and protection for workers, people would have to be like the Chinese, who work for pennies and in crap conditions. I really hope some more politicians start standing up for unions and worker's rights.

Now to the current fiscal cliff issue. This whole thing is a total farce and disaster for people. Where the hell has the urgency been? People should be clear, if we go over the cliff, everyone's taxes will go way up, and if you're like me, making about $40,000 a year, by about $2,000. Plus, we will face tons of cuts in programs and also defense. The politicians have been on vacation, dilly-dallying around, and talking out of their asses. It seems no Democrats talk to Republicans anymore, or vice-versa. This is a recipe for disaster. We need to go back to the days when people had drinks and smoke breaks together, and could hash things out. Seems all they do now is get on cable tv and talk out of their ass and then run home when the day is over. Someone needs to remind the politicians who they work for. I hope we can avoid going over the fiscal cliff, but I do not have much optimisim for the future of government in its present form, because the politicians all seem to have sticks up their asses. Maybe they need more sex,  ;) or maybe install wet bars in the Capital!  8) I stopped watching and following politics closely long ago, because it's just too negative. I'd rather watch the History Channel and recall a time when big ideas could get done for the greater good.

mitch777:
slavery was abolished in the civil war and look how long it took to remove seperate drinking fountains.
being gay was considered a mental disease in the 1970's and 40 years later...
progress is slow without ENOUGH public demand. period.
those of you who have a congressman/congresswoman who impeeds progress need to voice your opinion loud and often to make change happen.

thunter34:
Oh, honey...the politicians are still getting plenty of sex and booze.

zach:

--- Quote from: thunter34 on December 28, 2012, 09:54:55 PM ---plenty of sex and booze.

--- End quote ---

somebody call for me?

bocker3:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on December 28, 2012, 06:39:30 PM ---slavery was abolished in the civil war and look how long it took to remove seperate drinking fountains.
being gay was considered a mental disease in the 1970's and 40 years later...
progress is slow without ENOUGH public demand. period.
those of you who have a congressman/congresswoman who impeeds progress need to voice your opinion loud and often to make change happen.

--- End quote ---

Ugh......   I have Eric Cantor for my Congressman.  He doesn't care, he got to pick the voters he wanted in his newly shaped district.  I remember times when voters picked their Congressperson, instead of the other way around!

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version