Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

Anti-Depressants to Treat Grief...

<< < (4/4)

anniebc:

--- Quote from: mecch on December 28, 2012, 07:01:02 PM ---  So lets make this clear - if a doctor sees that someone isn't managing, why is it a "cop-out" to provide medicine?? 

--- End quote ---

It isn't a Cop Out, as you stated some people do need help in getting over a lost loved one. I have counselled quite a few young parents over the loss of a child in my time, and a fair few, after a period of time, and when it's obvious they are not coping with their grief have been put on antidepressants, and it has helped them get over their loss.

--- Quote from: mecch on December 28, 2012, 07:01:02 PM ---  I say, over prescription of lots of kinds of medicine is a problem, not just antidepressants.  But that doesn't mean that the medicine doesn't work. Antidepressants work,.  And some people need antidepressants.

--- End quote ---

I totally agree, at the right time and in the right situation they do work.

Aroha
Jan

11 letters:
In treating depression, medication does not discriminate in regards to etiology. In other words, in clinical practice the loss of a loved one is seen as a "legitimate" cause for depression, mourning, loss of interest, and so on, whereas a non-traumatic, every day trigger (such as gaining a pound) may not be.

The medication being used here treats the symptoms of depression, regardless as to the cause. It's not really clinically surprising (although it is clinically significant) that this would be the case.

Joe K:

--- Quote from: leatherman on December 28, 2012, 11:29:45 AM ---losing a spouse is incredibly different. While losing any other relative or friend may be emotionally devastating, it is in no way comparable - especially when those people live in another home of their own.  The person paying the other half of the bills, doing the other half of the chores, sitting across from you at the dinner table, and lying in bed with you every night is gone. (many elderly people often die soon after their spouse) Even if you don't particularly like your spouse at the time of their death, their absence from the house will change how your daily life is lived and handled. A person's life is never MORE changed than when the other half of a couple passes away.

--- End quote ---

I have found that there are few absolutes in life and that nobody can claim to have cornered the market on bereavement.  I find it condescending to suggest that your loss is somehow "superior" or more worthy, to a loss of any person, other than a spouse.   This is why I find you so tiresome.  Over the years, you have constantly professed your superiority over others because of the loss of a spouse.  Try suggesting that to a parent, who has buried their child.

As much empathy as I have for you, over losing partners, I am tired beyond words at your using those losses as some sign of moral superiority.  You are no better, nor worse, than any of us because of your losses.  All losses are relative to the parties involved, not to those un-involved.  Stop telling the rest of us, how inferior our losses are to yours.

Joe

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: Ann on December 28, 2012, 12:14:38 PM ---This isn't a contest of who grieves the most for whom.

--- End quote ---

Sure seems to be...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version