Main Forums > Living With HIV

Who Knows?

(1/11) > >>

thunter34:
Situation:  I have a friend in Kentucky.  He had sex last night with someone who has today told him, "I'm so sorry.  I was diagnosed positive last month.  I am not on meds."  He was receptive bottom with ejaculation.

It has been about 20-24 hours since exposure.  He has no insurance.

Can he get PEP without insurance?  What does he need to do?  He is in the Paducah, KY general area. 

He's having a very shitty Christmas, and he's so freaked that he isn't thinking straight about how to proceed.  I want to help him if I can.  If anyone can tell me the path to rescue for him, lay it out here and I will relay it.

bocker3:
I would think he could get PEP -- but he may need to pay out of pocket.  I guess I would first call a local ASO -- if they have some sort of hotline??  Next -- a trip to an Urgent Care or ER -- he'll need a doc to write the Rx.

Not sure what other advice I can give -- other than he needs to get a medical professional involved.

Hugs,
Mike

Jeff G:
I really have no idea if its a viable option but would the hospital emergency room be able to treat him ?

It couldn't hurt to try and call and see ... this is a tough one with the no insurance issue . I see Mike posted but I will any way .

thunter34:

--- Quote from: bocker3 on December 25, 2012, 08:57:32 PM ---I would think he could get PEP -- but he may need to pay out of pocket.  I guess I would first call a local ASO -- if they have some sort of hotline??  Next -- a trip to an Urgent Care or ER -- he'll need a doc to write the Rx.

Not sure what other advice I can give -- other than he needs to get a medical professional involved.

Hugs,
Mike

--- End quote ---

That's the thing:  this guy has no insurance and is already broke as heck.  Who the fuck could afford to pay out of pocket on the spot for a month's worth of meds in US dollars?  So in true genius American healthcare fashion, he might have to go without treatment, get infected and then be on the lifelong roll for ADAP.

It's so maddeningly stupid. 

thunter34:

--- Quote from: jg1962 on December 25, 2012, 09:00:47 PM ---I really have no idea if its a viable option but would the hospital emergency room be able to treat him ?

It couldn't hurt to try and call and see ... this is a tough one with the no insurance issue . I see Mike posted but I will any way .

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Jeff.  I appreciate the post anyway.  I tried to get him to come here and post earlier today, but I don't think stuff is sinking in with him all that well at the moment.  I think he's kinda zombied out by the whole thing right now.  He feels there isn't anything he can do because of the insurance thing, so he's basically sitting on the couch wondering if the virus is working its way in as the hours pass.

It totally sucks because I want to be able to say, "They can help you!" but I don't know that they would.

Le sigh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version