Main Forums > Living With HIV

How likely am I to infect someone if I am an elite controller?

(1/4) > >>

jam_borg1987:
I've been positive for a year now, I have never taken any meds. However, my viral load is and always was undetectable. My T-cell count is currently 1150, there is no proviral DNA in my blood (DNA by PCR Proviral HIV Test came back negative) and there is no evidence of active replication (p24 antigen HIV test came back negative).

I only know I am positive, because the OraQuick, ELISA, and Western Blot all came back weakly positive. So, what are my chances of infecting someone? Im talking in terms of, oral sex, and anal sex.

Thanks!

jam_borg1987:

--- Quote from: jam_borg1987 on December 24, 2012, 07:28:23 PM ---I've been positive for a year now, I have never taken any meds. However, my viral load is and always was undetectable. My T-cell count is currently 1150, there is no proviral DNA in my blood (DNA by PCR Proviral HIV Test came back negative) and there is no evidence of active replication (p24 antigen HIV test came back negative).

I only know I am positive, because the OraQuick, ELISA, and Western Blot all came back weakly positive. So, what are my chances of infecting someone? Im talking in terms of, oral sex, and anal sex.

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

For those who do not know, HIV Elite Controllers are a very rare subset ofHIV positive people who are able to control the virus in their bodies without medications. Essentially, HIV to their bodies, is like any other virus.

Now, the reason I ask this question, is because I do know that HIV positive people who achieve undetectable viral loads by medication, are muchmuch less likely to transmit HIV. However, my viral load is undetectable WITHOUT meds.

So I guess wha Im asking is, do the meds have something to do with it? Do they change anything?

Buckmark:

--- Quote ---Quote from: jam_borg1987 on December 24, 2012, 07:28:23 PM

--- Quote ---    I've been positive for a year now, I have never taken any meds. However, my viral load is and always was undetectable. My T-cell count is currently 1150, there is no proviral DNA in my blood (DNA by PCR Proviral HIV Test came back negative) and there is no evidence of active replication (p24 antigen HIV test came back negative).

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

For those who do not know, HIV Elite Controllers are a very rare subset ofHIV positive people who are able to control the virus in their bodies without medications. Essentially, HIV to their bodies, is like any other virus.

Now, the reason I ask this question, is because I do know that HIV positive people who achieve undetectable viral loads by medication, are muchmuch less likely to transmit HIV. However, my viral load is undetectable WITHOUT meds.

So I guess wha Im asking is, do the meds have something to do with it? Do they change anything?

--- End quote ---

No one else has responded so, I'll take a stab at answering.

First, I am not a doctor.  But I would think that, as an elite controller, your "chance" of infecting someone should be the same as someone who is taking meds and has an undetectable viral load in their blood.  Both individuals are measured with the same test, which has the same level of sensitivity (and margin for error).  And I believe there were several studies this year that showed that a undetectable viral load in your blood does not mean you have an undetectable viral load in your semen.

If your tests are coming back showing you are positive, then you have HIV in your body, and therefore could pass it on to infect someone else.  I really can't quantify the chances, and I don't think anyone else here can, either.  So even as an elite controller you should understand your risks and responsibilities when having unsafe sex.

You should also be aware that some elite controllers experience CD4 loss despite undetectable viral loads.

Why are you asking this question?

(Edited only to add the OP's original questions / quotes).

jkinatl2:
Of course thus presupposes that semen of questionable viral load would be the issue. What's the vedict on other acts?

mecch:

--- Quote from: jam_borg1987 on December 24, 2012, 07:28:23 PM ---I've been positive for a year now, I have never taken any meds. However, my viral load is and always was undetectable. My T-cell count is currently 1150, there is no proviral DNA in my blood (DNA by PCR Proviral HIV Test came back negative) and there is no evidence of active replication (p24 antigen HIV test came back negative).

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Since you are such a rare example of complete viral control, I assume you have access to doctors.  Hell, it looks like you actually eliminated the virus totally.

So, if you have access to doctors, who have followed you and provided all this info on your special case, why dont you ask one or a few of these doctors for their opinion on this question and report it back to this forum.  Rather than a bunch of laymen taking stabs.

I highly doubt you will get a "100% you cannot transmit" answer from YOUR doctor(s), but it will be interesting to see what they say and how they explain their answers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version