Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Switching to Stribild?

(1/2) > >>

keven:
I asked my Dr. about switching from Epzicom/Issentress to Stribild as a convenience from three pills each day (two at night and one in the morning) to one pill each day.  Convenience is the only reason for the switch.  Epzicom/Issentress keeps me stable with no side effects.   

At first he said no problem but also told me that because Stribild is new to the market, there is not a lot of data especially surrounding stress to the kidneys.  While he said it would be ok to switch to Stribild, he also said if it were him, he would wait until there is more data on Stribild and my current regimen contains two less drugs than Stribild and is for sure less stressful on the kidneys. 

Anyone else thinking about switching to Stribild for convenience and how do you weigh the convenience factor over the fact this it is new to the market with not a lot of long term data.

WindySkies:
I'm switching from Complera (another relatively new drug) to Stribild this week.  Honestly with the current generation of drugs being so new, how long can long term effects really be judged by?  A good example is Atripla which is hands down the most popular drug of choice, it was only FDA approved in 2006.  Is 6 years of general population use long enough to determine long term use effects of say 50 years plus?

In other words a lot of this stuff is best case scenario, using the best information possible.  So until a drug has been used for an entire generation, it's going to be hard to say for 100% what the 'long term effects' are.  If a drug has passed the same trials as others on the market, they at least meet that minimum standard.

If anything, moving from the 2+1 combo your on now, to a 1 pill might help with probably the most important part of medication, adherence.  With the single pill you'd probably be more likely to not miss any doses, or get pills mixed up.

Solo_LTSurvivor:

--- Quote from: WindySkies on December 22, 2012, 02:51:30 PM ---I'm switching from Complera (another relatively new drug) to Stribild this week. 

If anything, moving from the 2+1 combo your on now, to a 1 pill might help with probably the most important part of medication, adherence.  With the single pill you'd probably be more likely to not miss any doses, or get pills mixed up.

--- End quote ---

How many pills do you currently take, Windy?  And how many of them resemble one another so much that you'd actually get them mixed up?  Maybe you were thinking there's a remote chance that someone might accidentally skip taking their Epzicom/Kivexa because it could possible look like a daily multivitamin?  Just curious.

I know I really have a hard time differentiating between my Epzicom and Centrum for Men; must be due to the Sustiva I take.

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: WindySkies on December 22, 2012, 02:51:30 PM ---A good example is Atripla which is hands down the most popular drug of choice, it was only FDA approved in 2006. 

--- End quote ---

WRONG

The Efavirenz component which is responsible for the oft-complained CNS issues was FDA approved in September, 1998. The tenofovir component was FDA approved in October, 2001. It's not a new drug unless you think the Wonder Twin Powers of combinging something into one capsule make something new, which of course would be silly.

So, in summation, this is exactly why doctors are more comfortable recommending it for first line treatment -- there's 14 years of data on Efavirenz.

Is that hard to look something up on wikipedia before making repeated erroneous statements?

WindySkies:
14 years still doesn't equate to a lifetime of potential side effects.  Perhaps basic math is too complicated for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version