Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

Anyone on Zoloft?

<< < (2/6) > >>

mecch:
What Ted said is so true - lots of meds like these effect people quite differently so all you can do is try and see if one works for you.  Usually you can find at least one.

RobbyR:
Honestly guys I really don't think I'll start the Zoloft. I mean, it's the simple pleasures in life, and if something messes up your ability to cum, then who needs that. I think I'll just try and keep my anxiety in check until I see my doc again next month and just ask if I can try something with fewer side effects, maybe Ativan, Paxil, or Prozac in a low dose. Most of the time my anxiety is in check and I think I can manage until then without Zoloft fucking my plumbing up. Don't need that! Kinda surprised she would prescribe me something like that and not even tell me about what the potential side effects would be. I mean if I was female, it wouldn't matter as much, but being a man, I don't want to risk losing my ability to get horny and cum. After all, I'm only 30 lol. So yeah, I think I'll just skip the zoloft for now and ask for something else next time around.

mecch:
Robby that is disappointing.  Have you ever tried SSRI's? 
All your anxieties slip off your shoulders and your back. Its like a big relief.  You can't know you would get sex problems.  I think most people would agree with me that the mind kick of the drugs was worth the delayed orgasms. Which were interesting anyway. The point is to not freak out about things and SSRIs do that for most people. 
I think you should be more adventurous and try the zoloft for a couple of months. If you don't like you don't have to continue.  And you will probably have already got some anxiety relief.

RobbyR:

--- Quote from: mecch on December 23, 2012, 07:06:14 PM ---Robby that is disappointing.  Have you ever tried SSRI's? 
All your anxieties slip off your shoulders and your back. Its like a big relief.  You can't know you would get sex problems.  I think most people would agree with me that the mind kick of the drugs was worth the delayed orgasms. Which were interesting anyway. The point is to not freak out about things and SSRIs do that for most people. 
I think you should be more adventurous and try the zoloft for a couple of months. If you don't like you don't have to continue.  And you will probably have already got some anxiety relief.

--- End quote ---

Mecch, I guess I have anxiety about anxiety pills LOL. Guess I just sorta pride myself on my sexual prowress, as it were, and just a bit scared that the zoloft might permanently alter my ability to perform. I have taken ativan before, and it worked wonders for me, although I didn't take it very long, because it was only given to me after a hospital visit for a panic attack following a near-drug overdose (3 years clean and sober now yay!) and once I took about a week's worth of it, I felt good enough to discontinue it. I had some withdrawal, but nothing I couldn't handle. And the ativan did wonders for my sleep at night too! I don't think I have ever tried an SSRI before..I am toying with the idea of cutting my 50 mg pill in half or a quarter, and seeing if that small dose does anything for my anxiety without causing negative side effetcs. One thing I have heard, is that zoloft tends to boost the seratonin in the brain, which makes it more of one of the "uppers" of the SSRI's, which concerns me a bit because I already am a high strung person. I may bite the bullet and at least try the zoloft, I know I can stop it at any time. But still on the fence about it. I guess what I am a bit concerned about is that I am not a depressed person, just anxious. I think there's a difference. But I guess it can't hurt to try. Dunno if I will yet though.

mecch:
If you try it, stick to one dosage for quite some time. I would start with the dosage the doc recommends.  Just stay in touch with doc and report good or bad effects, and for advise on downing dosages.

I wouldn't go too deeply into SSRI "support" or "user" sites on the web - i can't imagine where you heard about permanent sexual dysfunction from a couple of months trial of an SSRI. Except on sites filled with iffy horror stories from worst case scenarios.

You need to sort out your ability to manage "better living through chemistry" because what you said about 1 week of Ativan is telling:  "I took about a week's worth of it, I felt good enough to discontinue it."

People take and value ssri because it cuts anxiety or lifts depression - it sort of levels things out you feel more chill and you function more easily and better too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version