Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

HIV patients losing access to pharmacies in CA

<< < (2/2)

madbrain:
I don't have any problem with getting my refills in the mail with Kaiser.
However, there are many situations for which they are not suitable. Meds can get lost, stolen, damaged, etc. In all those situations I would not want to be told to wait for a mail order pharmacy.

Mail order does not seem appropriate for initial prescriptions either. If somebody needs meds right now - say, they just got diagnosed, and their initial tcells came back very low - they should get the meds the same day. They should not have to wait for them in the mail.

I'm with the OP on this one. But at the same time, I also wonder if the OP is HIV+ and why they suddenly jumped in here.

bocker3:

--- Quote from: madbrain on December 13, 2012, 09:08:32 PM ---I don't have any problem with getting my refills in the mail with Kaiser.
However, there are many situations for which they are not suitable. Meds can get lost, stolen, damaged, etc. In all those situations I would not want to be told to wait for a mail order pharmacy.

Mail order does not seem appropriate for initial prescriptions either. If somebody needs meds right now - say, they just got diagnosed, and their initial tcells came back very low - they should get the meds the same day. They should not have to wait for them in the mail.

I'm with the OP on this one. But at the same time, I also wonder if the OP is HIV+ and why they suddenly jumped in here.

--- End quote ---

I seriously doubt that you have to use the mail order for an initial Rx -- mail order is for maintenance and it ain't maintenance until you start.  Every mail order pharmacy I've been part of -- allows retail filling of the initial 30 days (even an emergency script can be filled at a retail Rx in every plan I've been in -- all you need is a doctor to write it that way).  I still think this OP is just stirring the pot.

M

madbrain:

--- Quote from: bocker3 on December 13, 2012, 10:08:04 PM ---I seriously doubt that you have to use the mail order for an initial Rx -- mail order is for maintenance and it ain't maintenance until you start. 

--- End quote ---

Well, the article doesn't specifically say that this new requirement is for refills or maintenance prescriptions only. It would be interesting to see a copy of the letter that patients received and what its wording is.

--- Quote ---Every mail order pharmacy I've been part of -- allows retail filling of the initial 30 days (even an emergency script can be filled at a retail Rx in every plan I've been in -- all you need is a doctor to write it that way).  I still think this OP is just stirring the pot.

--- End quote ---

Right. I don't think think filling it is the issue here, so much as having it covered by insurance.

My Kaiser doctor can write a prescription that I can fill at any retail pharmacy also, however the terms of my Kaiser plan are quite clear that they only cover prescriptions at Kaiser pharmacies, and nowhere else.

RapidRod:
My scrips are mailed "UPS or Fedx" via CVS CareMark and in the 7 years have never had a lost or late shipment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version