Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

White

<< < (2/8) > >>

tednlou2:
I think it goes by different names.  We call it Chinese gift exchange.  I have no idea where that name comes from.  Some call it Dirty Santa.  We do it every year.  Everyone buys a $25 gift.  We draw numbers and the first person unwraps the first gift.  The next person can take it or open another--and so on.  We had to make a rule that a gift can only be exchanged three times, because it went on forever. 

Howie Mandell had a show premiere tonight on the same concept.  I guess it will only be a Christmas season show? 

buginme2:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on December 10, 2012, 11:43:59 PM ---I read and re-read it and I still am having trouble understanding it.

--- End quote ---

Think of how Yoda speaks

buginme2:

--- Quote from: tednlou2 on December 10, 2012, 11:48:28 PM ---I think it goes by different names.  We call it Chinese gift exchange. 

--- End quote ---

Why? Thats racist

tednlou2:

--- Quote from: buginme2 on December 10, 2012, 11:51:06 PM ---Why? Thats racist

--- End quote ---

I have no idea where it comes from.  I never heard of it until my partners's family did it.  I will have to ask them, but I suspect they just went by the name that was used at his dad's Allstate Insurance parties.  That's where they first did it.  Perhaps it has a positive meaning and not derogatory at all?  I mean, I have never heard of the Chinese taking gifts away in a racial slur. 

The title of this thread made me think it was going to be about race. 

buginme2:
Maybe it comes from the Chinese fire drill.  When you stop your car at an intersection, everyone gets out and runs around the car then jumps back in and drives away.

That would make sense since your giving gifts in a rotation. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version