Main Forums > Living With HIV

disclosure laws Bahamas

<< < (2/2)

Jeff G:
Hi David . I Know its presumptuous to assume all men with HIV are gay but in this case I think it was an honest mistake because there are so few straight men who post regularly here on the forum , so I don't think that mistake adds up to stigma 

You are correct and make a good point that stigma is alive and well as far as HIV is concerned and one of the best ways to combat it is to be open about living with HIV when its possible to do so without fear of violence or the loss a job in some cases . I always say you don't have to worry about disclosure laws unless you are unwilling to disclose .

Since your going to be on vacation and unlikely to run across people that you meet there back home I suppose you could disclose and shag to your hearts content while there and come home with no one the wiser if it suits you , who knows you may meet some great women and fight stigma at the same time . Have a great trip !     

Buckmark:

--- Quote from: David in Toronto on December 07, 2012, 09:32:00 AM ---....
For the record I am not gay. I guess People with HIV will always be stigmatized. Although a high percentage of HIV infected are homosexual, to assume everyone with HIV is gay is just as bad as racial generalizations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended, I have many gay friends and am totally cool, but my point is that stigmas must end against people living with HIV, the only disease where your a criminal as soon as your diagnosed.

Much love
David

--- End quote ---

David,

While I see your point about stigma, you also have to assume that when you are in a place (like these forums) with a lot of gay men, then a lot of folks are going to assume you are gay -- and it has nothing to do with HIV.  It's kinda the same as in most places in society, when most people -- especially straight people -- operate from the point of view that others are straight.  Now, I suppose ideally no one should make assumptions about others' sexuality.  But it's an ingrained part of us that happens at the subconscious level.  Since you have "many gay friends", ask them for their point of view on this.

I hope you also realize that as person with HIV you have to fight stigma, and as a straight man you may be able to have a bigger impact by being open about HIV than all of us tired old gay guys.  Lots of folks just assume all teh gays have HIV anyway.

Stigma not just going to go away.

Regards,

Henry

Solo_LTSurvivor:
Regarding stigma, the latest issue of Positively Aware mag ran an article on the subject.  While it was specifically aimed at gay men, it was interesting nonetheless.

wolfter:

--- Quote from: David in Toronto on December 07, 2012, 09:32:00 AM ---
Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended, I have many gay friends and am totally cool, but my point is that stigmas must end against people living with HIV, the only disease where your a criminal as soon as your diagnosed.

Much love
David

--- End quote ---

Adding a little stigma of your own?  I've never viewed myself as a criminal.

Wolfie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version