Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

returning to school

<< < (2/3) > >>


--- Quote from: poz91 on December 03, 2012, 01:19:13 PM ---If you qualify, Pell Grants will typically cover the cost of your classes and textbooks with a little bit left over each semester for incidental expenses.

The Pell Grant / FAFSA application (free application for federal student aid) can be found at

As for any scholarships specifically for HIV+ students, I looked into that too and couldn't find anything. I personally didn't feel comfortable disclosing my status to a financial aid counselor at the school, though... so there may very well be some out there and I just didn't know where to look?

--- End quote ---
I have financial aid and was just looking into scholarships because everyone my Husband talks to suggests I go after one. I really am not sure what I would use the money for yet considering I don't start until January 22nd of 2013. I am thinking gas and new breaks on my car. But I am not sure if that is what I should use it on.


--- Quote from: BT65 on December 02, 2012, 06:51:50 PM ---I have no idea about the scholarships. I've been paying for my education with loans, because I was born beautiful and not rich. 

Good luck, Idee.  You can do it.


--- End quote ---
I am using a loan along with financial aid. I just was told by almost everyone I know and my Husband knows to go after a scholarship. I am sure I can use the money for gas and travel to school.

Miss Philicia:
A friend of mine, if I'm recalling this correctly as it was a decade ago, had a partial/substantial HIV scholarship that enabled him to get a degree at the School of Visual Arts in NYC. That was for his BFA. I know he then got into some program for his Masters in Berlin though I don't know if it was HIV-related or what. Put it this way -- he has no money of his own nor does his family. He's also Brazilian/Guatemalan.

It's the kind of thing you're going to need time to research.

Here, Vocational Rehabilitation used to pay a big part of getting any undergrad degree.  But now with all the cuts to government programs I've heard they cut way back.  Of course, this is in Indiana, it's worth investigating in your state, Idee, if it is an undergrad degree you're pursuing.  Voc Rehab, at least here, will not assist with any degree above that.

A few source links:


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version