HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

how long does it take

(1/1)

walkerbd:
Hello everyone.

I had sex with a female sex worker 6 weeks ago, and within a week of the incident I started to feel a bit ill, fatigue and a bit feverish, which then moved on to diahorea and swollen glands in the chin.

How soon do symptoms normally appear after exposure. I used a condom, but did not check too carefully to see if it had broken, so I,m a bit worried.

Also, do I have to wait 13 weeks for a test, or can I do it soon, as I,m extremely worried right now,

rgs

BW

Ann:
BD,

You used a condom, therefore you didn't have a risk. Condom have been proven to be very effective when it comes to preventing hiv transmission. If your condom had broken, you would have known because it is very obvious when they break.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions (whether the person is a sex worker or not) until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

You don't need to test over this at all. However, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

walkerbd:
Thank you Ann, thats very re-assurring and thanks for your reply,but I won,t be able to relax until after the test, 7 weeks to go

rgs

bd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version