Looking for TB and Cat related advice for HIV+ partner

(1/3) > >>

magnoman:
Hi there,

A new posting from me.

Just got results from my boyfriend's tests:

13th August CD4 551 VL 88035
4th November CD4 404 VL 21737

He came back from the clinic this morning with the results and they are as above.

He does not have TB and was vaccinated with a BCG when he was a child against TB, however the doctors have suggested that as there are relatively high rates of TB in this country that he should start a year long preventative course against TB.

The pills they want him to take are called Isoniazid, and they appear to be relatively safe, although Wikipedia does say that there can be side effects.

To the best of my knowledge they didn't do a test to see if he has imminuty against TB from his childhood BCG, so I am interested to hear whether anyone knows anything about this.

Also I understand that they do not provide any HIV medication here until the Tcells drop below 250, which I understand is also the case in the UK, but in the USA it is 500.

Wouldn't mind hearing from people about the advantages of getting on HIV Medication now rather than waiting for the T-cells to drop below 250, although I am not even sure whether that would be possible as I understand that the government regulates HIV medication here and there are no private treatment facilities.

This is a fairly new diagnosis from the beginning of this year.  The first HIV test was positive, the Western Blot was negative, the second HIV test was positive and the second confirmatory test wasn't a Western Blot but was positive.

Finally the doctors suggested that us having a cat was not a good idea, which sounds kind of extreme to me so I was interested in peoples thoughts on cat ownership as well!

Anyway any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

WillyWump:
Hi Magnoman,

I cannot comment on the TB, but I am a cat owner and have been around cats for my entire infection with no problems. There are many cat owners on here and they will tell you the same.

I think the problem is with the litter box , you just have to be careful when handling it (but even neggies should handle carefully, right?), you dont have to go to extremes. I use surgical gloves when cleaning the box and also avoid inhaling the dust, but that's probably not even necessary. Just clean up real well with warm water and soap afterwards.

Enjoy Mr. Kitty :)

-WIll

hope_for_a_cure:

--- Quote from: WillyWump on November 28, 2012, 05:32:32 PM ---Hi Magnoman,

Just clean up real well with warm water and soap afterwards.

Enjoy Mr. Kitty :)

-WIll

--- End quote ---

That's what I do too. 

Also, on those rare occasions when I get a little scratch from playing with my cat, I clean the cut with plenty of hydrogen peroxide and apply Bacitracin first aid antibiotic ointment afterwards. 

leatherman:

--- Quote from: magnoman on November 28, 2012, 02:54:51 PM ---Finally the doctors suggested that us having a cat was not a good idea, which sounds kind of extreme to me so I was interested in peoples thoughts on cat ownership as well!

--- End quote ---
Toxoplasmosis is an opportunistic infection that can occur when one has a severely comprised immune system - like having an AIDS diagnosis. It can be transmitted from cats feces to humans if precautions are not taken (gloves, washing hands, not breathing in used cat litter dust)

Is your doctor a reputable HIV doctor? this seems like a very big over-reaction by your doctor since your BF is no where near an AIDS diagnosis right now.

while I have only 3 dogs now, I had a cat who lived to be 19. She lived with me through some of the worse years of my life (92-02) when I had AIDS, was in and out of the hospital, and sick with a lot of things - but never toxo. The simple precautions like others have stated (though I never used gloves or masks) should totally protect you.

As a bonus to protecting your BF from toxo, washing hands frequently will also protect from a lot of other illnesses. ;)

anniebc:
Hi Mag

I volunteer at an animal shelter, at the moment we have 35 cats and kittens.  About 7 weeks ago I had a few problems going on and my CD4's dropped to 180, the advise my ID Doc gave me regarding the cats was be careful, she never once told me to give up caring for the cats.

The guys have given you some good advise, listen to them and take care, I have two dogs and a cat at home and have never had any problems.

Aroha
Jan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version