Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

herbs, herbal supplements, vitamins and hiv medication

<< < (2/2)

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: Ann on January 01, 2013, 07:39:57 AM ---
St John's Wort (a herb used for depression) is also contraindicated for poz people. Not sure why though.

--- End quote ---

Ingredients in it decrease drug concentrations mostly in PI and NNRTI-based regimens. Not sure what it does with an integrase inhibitor based one since that's kindasorta new.

Ann:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on January 01, 2013, 07:45:30 AM ---Ingredients in it decrease drug concentrations mostly in PI and NNRTI-based regimens. Not sure what it does with an integrase inhibitor based one since that's kindasorta new.

--- End quote ---

True that, but it's more than that.

My hiv doc warned me off SJW long before I was on meds. I just can't remember why one isn't supposed to take it when poz regardless of meds. My brain isn't working properly today and I can't be bothered to google. :-\

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: Ann on January 01, 2013, 08:19:07 AM ---True that, but it's more than that.

My hiv doc warned me off SJW long before I was on meds. I just can't remember why one isn't supposed to take it when poz regardless of meds. My brain isn't working properly today and I can't be bothered to google. :-\

--- End quote ---

I've not ever heard of that. In fact, many people took it in pre-HAART days when they were only on NRTI-based mono/dual regimens though I don't recall doing so personally. I only recall the warning once the first PI appeared (Saquinavir, late 1995). Interestingly when that med came out IIRC you were supposed to drink it with grapefruit. Everyone thinks that's a no-no but with that medication (before it was reformulated into the superior fortovase) drinking grapefruit juice enhanced the bioavailability. However that particular PI sucked chunks thanks to faulty clinical trial testing and made Miss P resistant to the entire class of first and second generation PI's. Fuckers. NOT.MY.FAULT.

And you know what -- that was the same year if I recall correctly when viral load testing appeared and it took something like close to a year before Blue Cross, which was the better insurance in NYC, would even pay for it. Those really were trying times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version