Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Any other vegetarians?

(1/3) > >>

texaninnyc87:
Hey guys. I'm a newly diagnosed guy who's trying to figure all this stuff out. I'm in the process of getting all my numbers and getting setup with ADAP and all that other time consuming stuff thats necessary for me to start getting healthy. i guess i'm just wondering if there are any other vegetarians out there who can give me some tips or advice on issues they've faced dealing with their diets and HIV. I've been a vegetarian for 13 years (im 25) and dont plan on ever eating meat again if i can help it! Any advice, tips or anecdotes would be much appreciated!

Buckmark:

--- Quote from: texaninnyc87 on November 27, 2012, 12:44:34 PM ---Hey guys. I'm a newly diagnosed guy who's trying to figure all this stuff out. I'm in the process of getting all my numbers and getting setup with ADAP and all that other time consuming stuff thats necessary for me to start getting healthy. i guess i'm just wondering if there are any other vegetarians out there who can give me some tips or advice on issues they've faced dealing with their diets and HIV. I've been a vegetarian for 13 years (im 25) and dont plan on ever eating meat again if i can help it! Any advice, tips or anecdotes would be much appreciated!

--- End quote ---

I'm not aware of any recommendation to consume meat just because one is HIV positive.  I'll be curious to see what other vegetarian respondents have to say (and for the record I am not vegetarian), to see if there are any concerns / issues linking HIV and vegetarianism.  I can't think of any, but then as I said, I'm not a vegetarian.

wolfter:
There are some dietary concerns, but none that apply specifically to having HIV.  I'm assuming you're not on a complete vegan diet as that diet has its own issues.

My lab results are pretty complete and show any deficiencies in my diet.  My doctor is also a vegetarian so it makes it easy to discuss issues with him.  I don't know if my doctor does these labs because of my diet, but you might discuss this with you doctor to see if he has any specific concerns.

I finally folded to my doctor's wishes and started multi-vitamins yesterday.

Best Wishes.

Wolfie

Ann:
I was a lacto-vegetarian* before diagnosis and for about seven years after diagnosis. (*lacto-vegetarians eat dairy products but no eggs, fish or chicken, which some people claiming to be vegetarians do eat.)

I have to admit I got lazy in making sure I was getting enough protein - and a protein-rich diet is important when you're poz. After a while, I started craving eggs and chicken and when I finally gave in and started eating them again, I found I had a lot more energy than before.

To this day I only eat meat or eggs once or twice a week, but at least I know I'm getting the protein I need. I still eat a lot of cheese and lentils. Beans - not so much since I started meds. Truvada gives me the farts enough as it is. ;D

The bottom line is - yes, you can continue to be a vegetarian provided you make sure you don't get lazy like I did and keep a close eye on your protein intake.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure you're taking a good multivitamin supplement. It also wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor if he or she can recommend a good nutritionist who has hiv knowledge, so you can go over your diet with them to make sure you're doing it right and getting all the nutrients you need, particularly that important protein.

texaninnyc87:
Thanks for the advice! I've been taking muiltivitamins for years now. I'm thinking about maybe starting protein shakes or something for breakfast, especially if I am on a medication that requires you take it with food. i know some pills have a certain calorie content requirement so i think most protein shakes would be an easy way to meet this+helping me guarantee im getting enough protein. i'll be sure to talk with my doctors about it. this whole process has been so daunting to me; i'm just trying to be as knowledgeable and prepared as possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version