Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Any other poz health care professionals?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Callaway:
Hi Aroha; thanks for the words of encouragement and you certainly are fortunate to be working in an environment that is supportive and non-judgemental.

Callaway:
Hi JM; it's not a fear of isolation I've had, it's the frustration of the feeling unable to have support in a work environment due to the possibility of disclosure through someone else (for whatever reason - have you ever heard of the saying 'nurses eat their own?' - it's true!) thus putting my career and reputation in jeopardy. I guess it's my issue with trust at this point in time that I need to work through.  Being in a health related field, there's a perception of the 'professional' being the expert in 'prevention' which leads one who is HIV+ to be in a more vulnerable position when providing care to others.  I think you are right in needing to find a councellor who specializes in HIV in all aspects.  I too have support from my partner but I need to work through reaching out to others in person without feeling vulnerable which leads to the feeling of isolation.  Does this make sense?

dale gribble:
callaway I've known many in you field got to forget the hiv status and put it aside
2 RNs I known but didn't effect their jobs your status won't make a difference just fight what you think is right

Jmarksto:
Callaway;  Yes, that makes sense.  The counselor has been the best thing for me.  I know you mentioned not being comfortable with the support group.  Also, a few ASOs have online support group meetings (I haven't participated but I thought that was creative) but that may not meet your in person need.

JM

anniebc:

--- Quote from: Callaway on November 24, 2012, 02:46:17 PM --- it's the frustration of the feeling unable to have support in a work environment due to the possibility of disclosure through someone else (for whatever reason - have you ever heard of the saying 'nurses eat their own?' - it's true!) thus putting my career and reputation in jeopardy. I guess it's my issue with trust at this point in time that I need to work through.  Being in a health related field, there's a perception of the 'professional' being the expert in 'prevention' which leads one who is HIV+ to be in a more vulnerable position when providing care to others. 

--- End quote ---

Hi Callaway

While it's not a case for dismissal for someone to disclose your status it certainly is a case for a sever repremand, just keep that in mind, and trust me if you ever decide to disclose I feel pretty you will have the support you need from those who matter.

Also being a health worker doesn't stop us from getting sick, we get sick from all sorts of things, we are not immune to anything just because we work as Health care professionals.

The amount of talks I do through out NZ, regarding HIV to Healthcare workers you will be surprised just how many know very little about HIV, prevention and/or treatment.

The only area we are not permitted to work in is theater, for obvious reasons, so you need to stop stressing, talk to a counselor it can only help.

BTW..my name is Jan, Aroha is Maori for love... ;D

Aroha
Jan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version