Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Any other poz health care professionals?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Callaway:
JM...what is ASO?  do you have a link for the online support groups you mention?; I'd like to check that out.  Thanks.

Rev. Moon:

--- Quote from: Callaway on November 25, 2012, 08:17:25 PM ---what is ASO? 

--- End quote ---

AIDS Service Organization.

Callaway:
Thanks RM; I haven't seen that abbreviation used here in Canada.  JM...sounds like your therapist is very good, I'm in search of a new one now; can you tell me abit about yours that you found very helpful.

Jmarksto:
Callaway;

--- Quote from: Callaway on November 25, 2012, 08:47:24 PM ---Thanks RM; I haven't seen that abbreviation used here in Canada.  JM...sounds like your therapist is very good, I'm in search of a new one now; can you tell me abit about yours that you found very helpful.

--- End quote ---

I was referred to my therapist by my HIV doctor.  I am sure that you could get a referral by your doctor, or through your ASO (social service organization who's mission is HIV prevention, testing, counseling, social support, etc.).  My therapist has been + almost 15 years and has counseled many others through this process.  He also works with gay men on other issues.  I do think it helps to have someone that really understands the issue (may not have to be + themselves) and counseling.  Also, my therapist is very "active" - he is not a "sit on the couch and listen to yourself" guy - he engages in discussion and challenges in a respectful way.

If you are comfortable indicating which city you are in there may be others on the forum that could give you a referral to service organizations and possibly a counselor (that may be a long shot).

Let me know if I can provide anything else.

JM

Callaway:
Hey JM; I've been in touch with a local HIV organization (ASO) here and they were not friendly or helpful at all; they redirected me to the clinic where I go for my bloodwork and they are tracking down a therapist who use to work there and now works outside the organization in their own practice.  Can you tell me, when you go for your councelling sessions where are they located?  Are they at the ASO? If so, how do you feel about that?  I want to talk to someone who has lots of experience councelling in the area of HIV however the ASO here, their councellors only councel at that locaton and the councellors at the clinic only councel at the clinic; I guess it's my own paranoia that I still need to deal with however I hate having to go to the clinic for my bloodwork but do go.  If I have a choice in location (not the ASO or the clinic) for councelling that is my preference; being at the clinic and being a nurse I never know who I might run into in passing; I'm more comfortable in a more private environment; again, this is obviously stuff/feelings that I need to work through with my diagnosis; again its the stigma, not the rest as I'm on meds since April 2012 and my VL is undetectable and CD4 count 953; it's the emotional baggage I need to work on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version