Main Forums > Positive Women

people on cafemom...

(1/1)

idee:
I just went off on a woman for being ignorant to the fact her gay hiv postive cousin will be a nanny. I guess she doesn't agree with his lifestyle let alone a woman allowing him to watch her children.
cafemom is a chat site for moms. I swear I just typed out quite a few insults and said I could talk because I myself am positive.
I never thought I would be so angry about something but this angered me.

Ann:

--- Quote from: idee on November 20, 2012, 10:18:08 PM ---I just went off on a woman for being ignorant to the fact her gay hiv postive cousin will be a nanny. I guess she doesn't agree with his lifestyle let alone a woman allowing him to watch her children.
cafemom is a chat site for moms. I swear I just typed out quite a few insults and said I could talk because I myself am positive.
I never thought I would be so angry about something but this angered me.

--- End quote ---

It may have been better all round to have taken the opportunity to educate this woman (and therefore every other person who read the thread) on how hiv is and is not transmitted, rather than simply hurling insults at her. Even if you did try to educate her, she would have tuned out the minute you started "going off" on her.

I understand your anger at the ignorance - believe me, I do. I face it every day in the Am I Infected forum. However, we're never going to educate people through insults. When we hurl insults rather than try to educate, all we do is further the stigma we face.

idee:
I should have talked to her at first. Next time I'll know better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version