POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 02:05:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632394
  • Total Topics: 47892
  • Online Today: 294
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: No more playing basketball  (Read 649 times)

Offline zach

Re: No more playing basketball
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:48 AM »
just to be clear, it appears to be the actions of one ignorant ref, who has since been reprimanded. this was not a league decision. i have a feeling this baller won't have to miss anymore games. its sad that this type of ignorance still exists, but it always will. at least this incident will maybe draw some attention and open some minds.

like magic  ;)

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
Didn't Magic get cut and bleed on about his first game back, which became his last game?

Offline BoiBoy

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »
Didn't Magic get cut and bleed on about his first game back, which became his last game?

Yeah... but that was in the 90's.

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:17:34 PM »
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-man-with-hiv-banned-from-basketball-20140415,0,3727597.story

http://www.aroundosceola.com/?p=7893

I can appreciate his reaction after being pulled from the league.

What I refuse to understand are the comments made on the sites carrying this news.

The stigma is so strong in the US that the majority doesn't give a hoot if you're undetectable on meds. Is it any wonder many of us hide our diagnosis?

Yeah... but that was in the 90's.

Yeah, and the US hasn't entirely progressed from then.

The US is literally 15-20 years mentally and socially behind other countries.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:19:46 PM by xinyuan »

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »

no, that is not accurate AT ALL. he disclosed his status in 1991, he played the 92 all star game, and the 92 olympic dream team. due to controversy, he chose not to play the 92-93 season. he coached after that until 96, when he returned to playing for an entire season. his final retirement was at his choice. there was never an incident where he bled on court. quoted at his retirement announcement "I am going out on my terms, something I couldn't say when I aborted a comeback in 1992." after that, he continued to play in exhibition games with the CBA in the us and europe, up into the '00s

he has sort of entered the public lexicon as a joke about his status, but i think we owe him a great deal of gratitude for his courage in disclosing in the time period he did. for my generation, it was a watershed moment when attitudes towards pozzies really began to feel like they changed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:47:33 PM by zach »

Offline AusShep

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:31:57 AM »
no, that is not accurate AT ALL. he disclosed his status in 1991, he played the 92 all star game, and the 92 olympic dream team. due to controversy, he chose not to play the 92-93 season. he coached after that until 96, when he returned to playing for an entire season. his final retirement was at his choice. there was never an incident where he bled on court....

A quick google found this, I thought it happened sooner after his return though

And that's when Magic returned. This classic Gary Smith article tells much of the story of Magic's decision. There was the All-Star game return in 1992, the Dream Team and then an abbreviated comeback in the fall of that year, which basically ended when Magic got cut during a game and the video of him bleeding on the court became yet another iconic image of his career, only this one didn't leave anyone smiling.

Here's the sports illustrated article he was referring to
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007724/1/index.htm

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 12:47:09 AM by AusShep »

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »
i just read that entire 7 page article for this one line that references him bleeding

"pushed into quitting—not just once, at the urging of his doctors in 1991, but a second time, in '92, after the fear of an HIV carrier playing in the NBA crested when one of his arms was cut during a preseason game?"

the article doesn't give context to that. a couple of outspoken players, in ignorance that was common at that time, had been very vocal about their opposition and "what if" he bled and chances of exposure and infection. when it did happen, when he did bleed, that was the "crested" moment the article talks about. media had a damn field day with it. perpetuating much the ignorance.

but it wasn't his first game back, and it wasn't his last game. it was an example of sensationalism and ignorance. when attitudes changed, when he had fought to raise public awareness more. he came back. the 96 season was a damn good season for him. five years after he disclosed

Offline AusShep

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 01:22:13 AM »
I remember the bleeding incident on the national news.  I don't really follow sports, so the timing between that and announcing his retirement could have been much further apart than I remember, which is why I phrased it initially as a question. 

I also remember when he got HIV as well since I had just gotten over HepB at the time and was freaked out that I could have gotten HIV too and went to get tested.  The clinic was packed, it was the subject of much discussion.  The events were just much further apart than I remembered, maybe because it was his second comeback...

No question he put a public face on HIV and was incredibly brave to come out as positive when he did and has been a huge asset to the HIV community.

Offline zach

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 01:29:15 AM »
actually, he knew his status for a couple seasons before he disclosed

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 02:52:03 AM »
And judging from the league employee and the news commentors for Dakota's story, not too much has changed socially from Magic's time.

Offline zach

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 06:40:24 AM »
yeah, i get your anti-american rhetoric xinyuan. loud and clear. keep firing across the bow, i'm a patriot dispite all of my nations flaws, eventually i'll fire back.

you judge a nation based on the actions of a single/few citizens. perhaps look in the mirror when you call out the kettle

you also act like a medical expert around here and push some borderline fringe views on new posters. are you a doctor xin?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.