Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Drug testing for welfare recipients

(1/5) > >>

Buckmark:
Here we go again.  The State of Texas is now proposing to require welfare and unemployment recipients to pass drug tests in order to receive benefits. 

http://www.statesman.com/ap/ap/texas/perry-dewhurst-to-discuss-welfare-reform/nS5Hx/

This panders to the conservatards who really wish there were no welfare or unemployment programs at all.  Other states have already proven that it is not cost-effective to do these tests.

But... if we're going to have drug tests for welfare and unemployment recipients, why not test others who receive government benefits?  How about the legislators themselves?  How about the office of private corporations who receive tax breaks, or payments to build / relocate businesses in the state?

What a load of crap.  And, once again, Texas governor Rick Perry says he wants smaller government, except for when he wants to expand it.

tednlou2:
I am sick of seeing the Facebook posts, and some coming from people who are otherwise fairly progressive.  Even though studies showed 96% passed in Florida, they keep pushing this.  And, it is based on race.  But, not totally. 

What drives me nuts, and causes me to get into arguments, is how people are obsessed by this, but a few trillion in Iraq isn't on their radar.  I guess that's too complicated. 

thunter34:
THIS.    This is one of the biggest things that gripes me so much about the conservatives.  To hear them tell it, the liberals are all about class warfare.  But they are the ones who are constantly starting this crap - over and over.

What people somehow repeatedly fail to see is that what they are doing - besides demonizing a group of people - is getting people to surrender their own rights voluntarily by way of frenzy.  You start by pointing the finger at the less desirables, and then set the precedent for the same thing to happen to you later on.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: thunter34 on November 19, 2012, 02:16:09 PM ---What people somehow repeatedly fail to see is that what they are doing ... is getting people to surrender their own rights voluntarily by way of frenzy.

--- End quote ---
not only that; but I ask employed people why they put up with random drug testing in the first place? If you're doing your job correctly and having no accidents, what does it matter? If you screw up, and a test finds you have illegal substances in your body, then you get the boot. Otherwise people are actually putting up with their employers saying we don't trust you and we think you are a drug addict - prove that you're not, prove that what you do on your own time somehow influences your job performance.

the war on drugs has never worked and random, pre-employment, and before-receiving-benefit testing is all a waste of time, money, and human dignity.

thunter34:

--- Quote from: leatherman on November 19, 2012, 02:30:32 PM ---not only that; but I ask employed people why they put up with random drug testing in the first place? If you're doing your job correctly and having no accidents, what does it matter? If you screw up, and a test finds you have illegal substances in your body, then you get the boot. Otherwise people are actually putting up with their employers saying we don't trust you and we think you are a drug addict - prove that you're not, prove that what you do on your own time somehow influences your job performance.

the war on drugs has never worked and random, pre-employment, and before-receiving-benefit testing is all a waste of time, money, and human dignity.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  And this is the same type of thing I was alluding to above.  The cry was heard:  "If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about, do you?  Only those nasty addicts will have a problem."

But the problem is - or SHOULD have been - the principle.  Employment is an EXCHANGE...your services for their money.  You are not obligated to bow down a grovel just for being hired.  And you certainly shouldn't have been expected to essentially let these people INTO your body PRIOR to even being in said exchange.

Fast forward to today, and there are new spectres thanks to increased technology.  For example, there are now saliva drug tests that employers can use.  Problem is...that saliva test can also tip off employers to the potential for cancer, arthritis, heart disease, etc.  All of these are good reasons employers may decide on the sly not to hire someone.  But hey...we gave them the go ahead to get in there, right?

Point is:  you start buying into these rallying cries (and they always start off directed at some perceived less desirable group), and it can - and probably will - come back to bite you in the ass.

People should have collectively REFUSED to allow those drug tests to become standard.  They should have REFUSED to allow companies to demand to know your previous salary history.  But as corporations were given more and more power, the common man felt left with less and less leverage to argue against it.  People became too afraid to say no, lest they lose opportunities for employment.

Now we are stuck with it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version