Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

OSTEOPENIA or OSTEOPOROSIS

(1/2) > >>

beyourhero:
Hi! I found out I have HIV on the 3rd October, started meds yesterday, had a little cry as my life has changed forever, but soon got over it. I am on a combination of TRUVADA and ISENTRESS, I  read that it effects bone density after long term use. Is there something one can take or do to help with OSTEOPENIA or OSTEOPOROSIS?
Thanks. xxxx

Hellraiser:
If your physician checks your vitamin D level and finds it to be deficient you can take vitamin D supplements, but this should not be a major concern for you until you begin to show signs of it.  It is by no means a guarantee.

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: beyourhero on November 17, 2012, 07:40:33 PM ---I  read that it effects bone density after long term use

--- End quote ---

I'm sure whatever your read actually said "can" or "might". Not that it expressly "does"

harleymc:
Hi,
 I'm on Truvada Isentress and Kaletra.
My regular blood test monitoring showed i had lowish levels of vitamin D. My Dr recommended a Calcium & Vitamin D (which helps with Calcium uptake). It's not an unsolvable problem if it occurs.

Your Dr will be watching your blood tests closely.  You'll be OK.

It can be a bit emotionally challenging when you start on medications, but they help you keep control of your health. So think of them as your friends.

Hugs

beyourhero:
Hi! Harlymc,
Thankyou for your reply.
I had on my shopping list for today, Vit. D but will add Calcium.
That will mean 2 HIV meds and a total of 7 vitamins a day, lol

I am ok with the meds, its strange that I have just accpeted all this. I thought years ago that if I ever a HIV test came back positive I would just end my life but when I was sick in hospital with a "virus" as I had just come back from Bali and I didnt have un safe anal sex I never thought I would have HIV, so after so many tests and the HIV topic hadnt been mentioned by the doctors I was so shocked when that test came back positive. So some one must have taken condom off or it broke, or via the mouth.
But I just said of ok, whats next and here I am today, day three on meds and feeling very positive.
I didnt get any sickness, well not yet from the meds so I think that has helped.

This web site is so good for us guys who dont have any one else apart from the Dr. to talk to.
I am going to GENISIS this weekend, I think that will help.

I am going on too much, thanks again for your help

Hugs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version