Main Forums > Living With HIV

Is PEP needed when we are UD?

(1/4) > >>

Pek:
On my last appointment I was talking with my nurse about serodiscordant relationship so I asked about PEP if the condom breaks. She said to me as long as u are UD PEP is not suggested. My ex-girlfriend, who I am triyng to get back, got worried coz she would like to have the PEP even if it is not suggested.
I would like to hear from someone what do your doctors says about
thanks

ad2san:
Hi PEK,

the PEP is not suggested .... well this does not mean that it is not recommended! So if your GF thinks it is better then should get it (and I hope u get back ur GF as well).

Cheers

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: ad2san on November 14, 2012, 01:47:03 PM ---Hi PEK,

the PEP is not suggested .... well this does not mean that it is not recommended! So if your GF thinks it is better then should get it (and I hope u get back ur GF as well).

Cheers

--- End quote ---

Not even sure how to parse that.

If the nurse/doctor said that PEP wasn't suggested, she MEANT it was not recommended.

I imagine if yougot a doctor to write you a script for a month of meds, then your pharmacist would fill them. I imagine they would be expensive however. Have you considered springing for PreP?

Again, expensive, and she's have to take it every day. But it's a consideration.

ad2san:

--- Quote from: jkinatl2 on November 14, 2012, 03:00:33 PM ---Not even sure how to parse that.

If the nurse/doctor said that PEP wasn't suggested, she MEANT it was not recommended.

I imagine if yougot a doctor to write you a script for a month of meds, then your pharmacist would fill them. I imagine they would be expensive however. Have you considered springing for PreP?

Again, expensive, and she's have to take it every day. But it's a consideration.

--- End quote ---

Yep I did not read the mail of PEK properly. PEP is not to be mixed up with safe sex. If you practice safe sex your girl friend won't be infected. If for a reason a condom break, then PEP may be recommended .... but not as an alternative to condom.

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: ad2san on November 14, 2012, 03:09:30 PM ---Yep I did not read the mail of PEK properly. PEP is not to be mixed up with safe sex. If you practice safe sex your girl friend won't be infected. If for a reason a condom break, then PEP may be recommended .... but not as an alternative to condom.

--- End quote ---

In many places, if a condom breaks during penetrative sex where the insertive partner is positive, whether it be the top in anal sex or the male in vaginal sex, then PEP might not be recommended if the positive partner has an undetectable viral load.

It should be noted that many straight couples use "natural" methods to conceive, and many do not return to religious condom use afterwards so long as the positive partner remains undetectable. It's a personal choice, of course, but well grounded in science.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version