Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Viramune Not Digesting

<< < (2/2)

eric48:

--- Quote from: Plus30 on November 16, 2012, 06:46:14 PM ---"The Viramune is a fat and is better absorbed with a meal containing some fat. I would recommend trying a little peanut butter, cheese, an egg, or some nuts with the Viramune."

--- End quote ---

Never heard or such a thing... A quick look at nevirapine  chemical structure :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevirapine

shows it is anything but a fat... (google for : fat chemical structure and choose the images display, if your chemistry classes are old story for you)
Nevirapine  is metabolized thru the liver. That is true.

Except for the mechanical effect I had suggested, I do not see any reason to take with food.

In the same fashion, the extended release version is made such that the benefits of taking yours pills some hours apart are unclear to me.

gobing all your meds all at once, makes one feel less of a 'sick' person than being on a complicated schedule

hope this helps
Eric

buginme2:
The issue of Viramune XR not digesting has been discussed here before on this thread.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=43930.0

The OP in that thread was noticing undigested tablets when he went to the restroom.

He wrote a letter to the manufacturer of Viramune and received a response that this was normal and expected and should not affect the level of medication that is absorbed.  He posted a copy of the letter.

Long story short. You sould be ok, apparently Viramune XR doesn't dissolve fully, it's normal, and ok. Try and relax.   

Here is a copy of the letter from Viramune

Date: 24 July 2012 11:31:13 AWST
To: <***********@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Viramune XR (nevirapine) enquiry

Dear Mr *********,

Thank you for your enquiry. I understand you have been observing undigested Viramune XR tablet remnants in your faeces every day.

The inactive ingredients of Viramune XR extended-release tablets may occasionally be eliminated in the faeces as soft, hydrated remnants. This is a result of the extended release mechanism of the tablet. The inactive ingredients absorb moisture and form a matrix through which the active ingredient, nevirapine, is slowly released.

A number of patients taking Viramune XR in clinical trials noted tablet remnants in their faeces. Despite this finding all patients had the expected concentration of nevirapine in their blood and a sustained viral response.

I understand from your email that you have consulted your doctor and a recent blood test showed your CD4 counts remain stable. It would therefore appear that the tablet remnants you are noting in your faeces is not associated with any lack of drug effect.

Given the tablet mechanism, the clinical trial findings and your own blood test results it would appear that the undigested pills you are observing in your faeces is the inactive tablet ingredients.

I hope this email alleviates your concerns. A copy of the Consumer Medicine Information for Viramune XR is attached for your reference. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Pharmacovigilance and Medical Information Manager
Boehringer Ingelheim Pty Limited

78 Waterloo Rd, North Ryde, NSW 2113, Australia

Maybe we can relax now and stop stressing...................Just sayin'
Cheers!

Plus30:

--- Quote from: buginme2 on November 16, 2012, 09:55:46 PM ---Maybe we can relax now and stop stressing...................Just sayin'
Cheers!

--- End quote ---

Having the pill in stool was one concern, so at least I see that is a normal occurrence. The real stress was coming from that I was vomiting up the pill, two days in a row. I was more concerned it was as if I was missing doses since they were coming back up and not getting into my system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version