Main Forums > Living With HIV

New to the Forum HIV pos for a year now.

(1/5) > >>

Leo114:
I've been trying to wrap my head around the diagnosis.  I've been scared to start meds because of the side effects, especially facial wasting. But I'm starting to come to terms with everything slowly.  Still single though, how is dating for everyone else here?  Just looking for someone to chat with.

-Leo

mitch777:
hi leo,

welcome!

i can't address the facial wasting concern as i have not experiened it after 30 hiv+ years.
i'm sure there are many people in these forums who are more capable of speaking to that than i am.

also can't address the dating issue as i have been happily "married" for 18 years, but, i will say that i am more in love now than ever and my partner was negative when we met (and still is). ;)

support is here on all fronts!

wolfter:
First, welcome to the forums.  I've not heard of too many people suffering from wasting these days and I suspect if you read the dates on the research you've been studying, you'll probably find it to be MANY years old. 

I think I'd deal with the stress that your diagnosis is causing you before worrying about finding someone to date.

Best of luck

Wolfie

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: Leo114 on November 09, 2012, 04:53:28 PM ---I've been trying to wrap my head around the diagnosis.  I've been scared to start meds because of the side effects, especially facial wasting. But I'm starting to come to terms with everything slowly.  Still single though, how is dating for everyone else here?  Just looking for someone to chat with.

-Leo

--- End quote ---

First, welcome to the forums!

The meds generally given as treatment in most developed countries today really don't pose any lipo issues for anyone except the tiniest outliers. PLEASE take time to read this AMAZING site's Treatment Directory. Most side effects are short term, and diminish or disappear after a few weeks of treatment - and there are many options from which to choose.

I've been on a huge chunk of all available meds, obviously, since 1993. And thus far have avoided all lipo issues thanks to genetics, doing research, and having a stubborn streak a mile wide when it comes to taking meds I do not fully trust. Crowd-sourcing here helps a lot as well.

If you can tell us a bit more about yourself, where you are from, what your numbers are, and all that, we can be of mores specific help.

As far as dating, I have been positive since 1993, and for one reason or another, have spent roughly five of those years single, cumulative. Interestingly, all my solid relationships (anything lasting a couple of years or more) have been with negative guys. None of them seroconverted on my watch, and no relationship ended because of my status.

In short, HIV for the newly diagnosed in 2012 bears little resemblance to the AIDS we've captured so well on film and television. Take some time, read this site, get to know the folks here. You will find that your life stands an excellent chance of recovering from this bump in the road. In 2012, the other shoe might well never have to drop, insofar as HIV progression, disfiguring side effects, or crippling stigma is concerned.

Which is not to downplay the very real changes that HIV imparts, like any chronic diagnosis with attaches stigma can. But it's a very different situation now. Please be kind to yourself, and try not to eat this elephant in one sitting. Most importantly, you aren't alone.

*modified because I have clumsy monkey paw fingers.

tednlou2:
Leo,

Welcome to the forums.  I think this is a record.  We've had 3 new people join in the last two days.  While I wish no one had to use this site, I'm glad you've found this place. 

I look forward to hearing more from you.  All the best!

Ted

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version