Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

What causes a med to stop working?

(1/1)

dowellndoubtnot:
This seems like a very simple question, but it is one that i have been curious about. If a medicine is working as it should, and there is 100% compliance...what is it scientifically that can cause a medicine to stop working?

My bf is on Altripla, and everything is going great, he has had 100% compliance so far and went UD in just one month...but i am just curious about what are the causes in the future that could come up might be. Thanks!

leatherman:

--- Quote from: dowellndoubtnot on November 08, 2012, 09:46:11 PM ---If a medicine is working as it should, and there is 100% compliance...what is it scientifically that can cause a medicine to stop working?

--- End quote ---
that's not quite how it works. Meds don't stop working per se but if the level of medication falls too low (because one is very non-compliant), then the virus can mutate and become resistant to that medication. The med still works, it's just the virus can learned to counteract that med. Anyone who is 100% compliant should expect decades and decades of good health with the same medication. ;)

bufguy:
Here is a great lesson on resistance....or why drugs may stop working. As leatherman said if you maintain adherance your drug regimen should work indefinitely.
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Resistance_7509.shtml

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version