Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

New here and need some help understanding everything.

(1/3) > >>

TechOneGSXR:
Well this is my first post, and yes it sucks to have to post here but just from reading around this seems to be the best place for info and support!

I was diagnosed on Sept 27th, went in for my first labs on Oct 11, and they came back the other day when I met my ID Doc for the first time.

I do have to say it is very encouraging knowing that there are in fact people out there in the world that can dedicate themselves to this like he can, awesome person by far.

Anyway I have a couple questions that I forgot to ask him, and I would like a couple different opinions from people that have been around this for a while.

My CD4 count is 410, VL is 12,400. He did perscribe me complera, but I told him I wouldn't be taking it just yet until I felt completely comfortable with it.

So my questions for you guys:

-I have read that the sooner you start meds, the sooner you can run out of meds by becoming resistant to all of them, what is your guys opinion on this subject? From what I have heard if I stay dedicated to the meds, I cannot become resistant? True/False?

-Should I start meds now? My question to him was that I do not want to regret some of these long term side effects later in life (kidney failure and others) and his response was it is either chance regretting it or don't be there to regret it, makes complete sense, but again would like opinions?

Anyway, thanks for the responses in advance, and I look forward to hearing from some of you!

I am 23 btw, so "running out of meds" kind of scared me since I am still in the early stages of my life, would it be better to monitor and wait till maybe 30? or until I need them? That way I run out around 50ish? I dont know haha.

WindySkies:
From what I have read here and on the body website, the common ways to develop resistance to treatment drugs is to either not take them like you are supposed to (daily), and through reinfection which seems to be a big argument about that even being possible.

In regards to whether or not to start meds now, I think most people will tell you it's up to you and your doctor.  I'm in a similar situation as you, except I'm a little closer to 40 then you are.  I was diagnosed on October 10th, and started on Complera on the 31st (halloween).  My numbers were 735-CD4, and 57,00 Viral load.  My doctor recommended starting right away and what swayed it for me was the hope that starting meds with a higher CD4 would help keep it high, or drive it even higher.  I'm also hoping that getting to an undetectable VL will mentally help me feel more normal.

I guess I just didn't want to wait until I was real sick to start treatment.

The Complera has been fine for me, the only tough part has been making sure to take it after eating a 400 calorie meal.  I've never been a calorie counter, and now that I have decided to diet and exercise more, putting together something healthy that's 400 calories can be hard!  The only side effects I have experienced was mild gas, but it seems to be subsiding a little less then a week into taking it.

In my opinion, you're young, your body will be better at fighting things off, why not start treatment now and take advantage of that youth and the ability to strengthen your immune system as much as you can.

Oh, and if you have insurance for your meds, get the Gilead co-pay assistance card.  I used it and it turned my monthly $40 co-pay into $0 copay.

I's been an interesting month for me, the toughest part that I'm trying to deal with is the loneliness, I have decided not to tell any family or friends, so my only outlet to share is pretty much this website.

Mrmojorisin:
Becoming resistant and "running out of meds" is kind of a thing of the past. There are a lot of combos out there and newer ones are being developed all the time. Starting meds is a personal thing, and I thing you should give your docs opinion a lot of weight.

Welcome to the forums- There are a lot of great folks here who have been through the ringer and give fantastic advice...

TechOneGSXR:
WindySkies,

Thank you for your advice, I have been thinking that being younger will give an added boost to the meds and help me out overall. I just don't want that what if factor if I ever run out of different meds to take.

I personally, and my girl, think that you should at least tell the family. It will help a lot, and btw feel free to send over a message if you ever need anyone to chat with! I don't know who I got it from, so I am stuck being the only person I know with it which sucks cuz you don't have anyone actually on your level

Jorison, thank you for the advice also, I would like to keep as many responses and different opinions rolling in as possible, even though it should by my choice, I dont have an educated choice....

WindySkies:
Every other day I weigh the pro's and con's of disclosing to them, and the con's always weigh more.  There is some family stuff that makes it an even more difficult situation.

Do you have any guesses how you contracted it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version