HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Hiv+ person saliva on lips

(1/2) > >>

Cassandra:
Hi all, close relative of mine is HiV+ was speaking to them from about half a metre away and whilst they spoke I felt some spit hit my lips. I immediately wiped my lips with a wet wipe. But I have been in panic mode since! Am I at risk? Do I need to take a test? I have a husband and scared of making love due to this. Also I have been thinking was it so wise to wipe my lips in case I spread the virus through my lips allowing entry through mucous membrane. Maybe I am over thinking this but just need reassurance that I am not at risk.

RapidRod:
Saliva is not infectious. You never had an exposure. HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers
Mother to child

Andy Velez:
You are worrying absolutely needlessly. HIV is actually a fragile virus and is only spread in the ways that Rod has enumerated for you.

Get on with your life including sex with your husband as you have not had any risk.

Cassandra:
Thank you both for the reassurances, I genuinely thought I was at risk of exposure.

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: Cassandra on November 05, 2012, 03:48:23 PM ---Thank you both for the reassurances, I genuinely thought I was at risk of exposure.

--- End quote ---

Others might think the same thing - please educate people if you can, and maybe we can help overcome the stigma so often associated with HIV positive people :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version