Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Questions regarding ART. About to start soon.

(1/3) > >>

gaynpositive:
Hi all,

I am GaynPositive from New Delhi, India. I am about to start my ART soon. I have a couple of questions regarding the same, hope some of you guys might have answers to them:

1.  Can i continue to take vitamin supplements, omega-3 fish oil supplements, etc. when i am on ART? Do they interfere with ART?

2.  Can i still drink alcohol occasionally when on ART? Or would i have to stop alcohol altogether?

3.  Can i take any other doctor-prescribed drugs for any other ailments when on  ART? i cannot tell my regular physicians (for general care, eye care, skin care, etc) that i have hiv and am on ART. So if i go to them for any regular medical care, n they prescribe whatever drugs/eye drops/topical creams/steroidal preparations ...can i take them without worrying about their reaction with ART, etc?

4.  How about taking ART while traveling? say, for example,  if i take ART at 11pm India time and i travel to London, do i need to still continue to take ART at 11pm india time which will be 5.30pm London time? or maybe i can skip one dose, and take ART at 11pm London time? similarly, when i come back to India, can i skip one dose, and restart taking ART at 11pm India time?

Thanks in advance for answering my queries. The doctors here in India do not welcome patient questions and most of the time, patients have to figure out answers themselves. But thankfully, I have you guys and this wonderful forum. So again, thanks a ton in advance. I have a lot of anxiety regarding starting ART, that my life somehow will be limited in certain way when I start ART. I am trying to overcome that anxiety. So please any words or any other advice is also welcome.

Regards,
GnP

wolfter:
You might want to provide us with the meds you will be taking in order to give you some better responses.

Wolfie

gaynpositive:
hey Wolfie,

Thanks for writing. I will be starting on the generic version of Atripla which is available in India.

GnP

leatherman:

--- Quote from: gaynpositive on October 31, 2012, 02:22:17 AM ---1.  Can i continue to take vitamin supplements, omega-3 fish oil supplements, etc. when i am on ART? Do they interfere with ART?

2.  Can i still drink alcohol occasionally when on ART? Or would i have to stop alcohol altogether?

3.  Can i take any other doctor-prescribed drugs for any other ailments when on  ART? i cannot tell my regular physicians (for general care, eye care, skin care, etc) that i have hiv and am on ART. So if i go to them for any regular medical care, n they prescribe whatever drugs/eye drops/topical creams/steroidal preparations ...can i take them without worrying about their reaction with ART, etc?

4.  How about taking ART while traveling? say, for example,  if i take ART at 11pm India time and i travel to London, do i need to still continue to take ART at 11pm india time which will be 5.30pm London time? or maybe i can skip one dose, and take ART at 11pm London time? similarly, when i come back to India, can i skip one dose, and restart taking ART at 11pm India time?

--- End quote ---
1. yes, vitamins etc are ok to take
2. yes, you can drink alcohol
3. no. some meds could interact. the prescribing doctor needs to know. best rule of thumb is to never lie to your health care provider - it could cost you your life if they mis-prescribe something.
4. easiest thing to do is to take it are your regular time. a few time zone changes aren't going to affect it

--- Quote from: gaynpositive on October 31, 2012, 02:22:17 AM ---I have a lot of anxiety regarding starting ART, that my life somehow will be limited in certain way when I start ART. I am trying to overcome that anxiety. So please any words or any other advice is also welcome.

--- End quote ---
lots of people take lots of daily meds for a lot of reasons - but the main one being to stay healthy and alive. Don't get bogged down in thinking HIV meds are scary or magical. (be thankful you're not injecting insulin 3 times a day LOL) Meds are your friends - especially HIV meds.

gaynpositive:
Thanks so much Leatherman for answering my queries. yes! you are so right! Thank God i do not have to inject insulin three times a day!!  :) you have been very helpful.

thanks a ton,
GnP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version