Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

Fiber laxatives and meds absorption

(1/1)

J220:
Probably a non-issue but as usual I prefer to ask to be sure.

I take my atripla at night, at around 1am, and then after I wake up, like around 11am I've been taking one glass of natural fiber laxative, just to improve things a bit cause I have a horrible diet

Am I correct in assuming that by this time the meds have long been absorbed and the laxative will not have a detrimental effect on absorption?

The laxative I have been taking is the same as Metamucil, and even though the instructions say I can take two glasses a day, I only take one, all I need to improve things a bit, no diarreah or anything.

Thanks in advance.

J.

Miss Philicia:
I would think that the laxative works in the colon (because that's where your poop lives), so indeed your HIV meds would have been absorbed before that last part of you digestive tract.

vaguesbleues:
What would be the concern about taking fiber and medication too close together?  I say this because I've definitely had issues with increased diarrhea since starting on Atripla (although...it could also just be due to HIV as well I suppose).  I've found that taking fiber 2x a day helps IMMENSELY with keeping the diarrhea at bay.  I take Metamucil in the morning when I get up, and then once again at night, which ends up being fairly close to when I take the Atripla. 

J220:

--- Quote from: vaguesbleues on October 25, 2012, 04:05:38 PM ---What would be the concern about taking fiber and medication too close together?  I say this because I've definitely had issues with increased diarrhea since starting on Atripla (although...it could also just be due to HIV as well I suppose).  I've found that taking fiber 2x a day helps IMMENSELY with keeping the diarrhea at bay.  I take Metamucil in the morning when I get up, and then once again at night, which ends up being fairly close to when I take the Atripla.

--- End quote ---

There are in fact warnings about taking meds and laxatives too close together, otherwise the laxative could potentially prevent the body from absorbing enough of the medication, whether there is diarrhea present or not. My question was whether I was allowing enough time between the two to ensure med absorption. I keep seeing 2 hours as the minimum time to wait between the two, so I just wanted to be sure.

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version