Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Mental Health & HIV

developing bipolar with hiv?

(1/2) > >>

mitch777:
OK, this is a little beyond my comfort zone, but i think that i am moderately bipolar.
I've been reading alot about it lately and the descriptions hit home much more than i had expected.
I took a few "online quizes" and tried to answer honestly.
scored faily high. (moderate+)
i know, a quiz online...
i also read the thread here and on other sights in regards to the possible link with hiv and bipolar.
just wonder if hiv could cause or aggravate being bipolar and it's symptoms.
it feels like it more and more to me these past several years.

mitch

zach:
my bipolar was present before teh aids, has gotten worse though

ptsd was new recently diagnosed for me

stress is something we have in excess

Pricho01:
Hmmmmm interesting - I have just been through 2 psychiatric assessments and have been diagnosed with bi-polar.

Online tests can give you an indication (maybe) - but get yourself off to a psychiatrist to assess you appropriately.

Worse with HIV.... ? Dunno about that one. Comorbidity with other disorders/diseases such as drug dependance etc is statistically more prevalent with people diagnosed with bipolar I have just discovered... on a steep learning curve myself.

Risky behaviour associated with mania/hypomania (the high times) can lead to a higher chance of contracting STD's including our special bug HIV... thats about all I know at this stage.

All the best with your journey....

makhedha:
it's strange. i think i've always been on the bipolar spectrum (my lows are much much more pronounced than my highs) but it's gotten worse since the diagnosis. that's lead to a lot of problems (drinking, risky behavior etc) but now i've decided to see what i can really do about it.
have stopped the drinking (going to aa etc) and am going to give up smoking and other things. not so much esp with the smoking that it's a 'health issue' i just want to see what my mind is like without any outside mood altering influences so i can really assess, with professorial help, what's going on.
it's scary, though, i understand,

mecch:

--- Quote from: mitch777 on October 15, 2012, 11:20:12 PM ---OK, this is a little beyond my comfort zone, but i think that i am moderately bipolar.
I've been reading alot about it lately and the descriptions hit home much more than i had expected.
I took a few "online quizes" and tried to answer honestly.
scored faily high. (moderate+)
i know, a quiz online...
i also read the thread here and on other sights in regards to the possible link with hiv and bipolar.
just wonder if hiv could cause or aggravate being bipolar and it's symptoms.
it feels like it more and more to me these past several years.

mitch

--- End quote ---

Do you have access to psychologist or psychiatrist who can evaluate you, using professional criteria?  I think these conditions as well as these diagnosis are very technical and nuanced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version