Quantcast
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2016, 06:46:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 29690
  • Latest: Mr A
Stats
  • Total Posts: 704658
  • Total Topics: 56098
  • Online Today: 307
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 259
Total: 265

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: PEP - Are Two Drugs Enough? What's my risk?  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Jeff03301

• Standard
PEP - Are Two Drugs Enough? What's my risk?
« on: July 15, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
Today I was the receptive partner in anal sex with a stranger who insisted he was HIV negative (and no other STIs). I noticed before he put the condom on that he had a lot of "precum". I insisted that he pull out before ejaculating (he ejaculated outside of my body). After we parted ways, I checked the condom and noticed a hole in it up near where the head of his penis would be. I called my doctor and was prescribed a PEP combination of Truvada and Tivicay. (Doctor was previously unfamiliar with PEP and had to look it up). The doctor said to take them together at the same time every day for 28 days. I took the first dose within about 4 hours of possible exposure. A couple of questions: Reading up on PEP, some sites say "a combination of three drugs". Should I ask my doctor to prescribe one more drug for the treatment? Also, a couple of sites say you shouldn't take both drugs at the same time, rather you should take one in the morning and one at night (if taking a combination of two drugs). Is this true? How bad is my risk, and am I on the right drugs? Thank you very much.

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
Re: PEP - Are Two Drugs Enough? What's my risk?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 10:09:14 PM »
Hi

After we parted ways, I checked the condom
How did you check the condom?

As for the PEP, the combination you have contains 3 drugs. Truvada = emtricitabine and tenofovir and the Tivicay = Dolutegravir.  Take them as prescribed by the Doctor, I personally always took them at the same time.

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Index & everything you need to know
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff03301

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 10:39:53 PM »
I checked the condom by picking it up and looking at it. There was a small round hole about the width of the round top of a pencil eraser when you look down on the eraser from above. So, I guess like a centimeter. The condom was slimy inside from his precum. I think the hole would have been located about where the ridge of the penis head would be. I hope this isn't too offensive, but there was a bit of fecal matter on the outside of the condom (I had thought that I had cleaned myself better, but I guess not). Before I checked the condom,. I noticed that there was some of my fecal matter on the head of his penis. I asked if the condom had broken, but he said it didn't. He said it got there when he removed the condom. I thought that weird because condoms usually turn inside out when you take them off. Again, I apologize for the graphic nature of this reply.

PS The woman at my pharmacy said Tivicay is "experimental". Should I be worried about this, and ask my doctor to switch me to a drug that has a more established record?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:44:29 PM by Jeff03301 »

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 03:19:05 AM »
PS The woman at my pharmacy said Tivicay is "experimental". Should I be worried about this, and ask my doctor to switch me to a drug that has a more established record?

Tivicay is excellent and was approved in 2013, not sure what she means by "experimental" nothing "experimental" about it. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/846532

To be honest it sounds like the condom was damaged after being discarded, you have now started PEP and PEP is excellent in terms of preventing HIV infections from taking hold. Finish the course and test at 6 & 13 weeks post completing PEP.
I suspect that you are going to be fine when you do test.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff03301

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 02:39:14 PM »
This is just an update to share my experience with PEP, now that I have completed the 28-days course on the drugs. The first few days I felt a little nausea, but it subsided. I took the pills faithfully every day between 5 and 6pm for 28 days. I had no side effects while on PEP, other than one odd thing that I'm unsure if it's related or not: I have the sensation of a sunburn on my left shin, even though I don't have a sunburn there. Again, I don't know if it's related or not, but it started about 3/4 of the way through PEP and has not yet subsided even though I finished PEP a week ago. Now I have 5 more weeks to wait until I can get tested (and again at 12 weeks). I'm scared, but hopeful. I am writing this to encourage those going on PEP to stay on track with taking the drugs every day at the same time, and go all 28 days. Keep busy and try not to worry -- that's what I'm trying to do. Best wishes.

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 07:09:36 PM »
Hi

Glad to hear you finished the course. The sunburn feeling if it remains or you are concerned talk to you doctor as is not something associated with Tivicay.

I suspect you had no risk to start with, but do test to give peace of mind if it helps you move on.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff03301

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply and reassurance. There's something I've been too ashamed to admit ... The morning after my sex with the stranger (and one PEP dose) I had sex with my partner. (My possible infection happened at 2pm on Friday and my partner and I had sex at 10 Saturday morning.) I hadn't slept much all night so I was pretty exhausted. My partner took advantage of my "morning wood" and put it inside himself. In my dreamlike state, it took me a bit to realize what was happening and I pulled out. I didn't cum inside his body, but I was still freaked out. I probably was inside no more than a minute. I almost never have any precum, so I'm hoping that helps.  Then a few days later (6 days into PEP), we were fooling around and he entered me. I don't know why I let him. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer online about how soon after being infected that a person can pass the virus on to someone else.

I know what I did was dumb. I feel like such an idiot, possibly putting him at risk. We haven't had sex since - I've been using the excuse that I've been a little depressed and not horny, trying to buy time until I can get tested.  We have been together over 10 years and I've never cheated on him before. I've been having a midlife crisis this year and the thing with the stranger was a result of it.  I really tried to have the safest "safer" sex possible with the stranger, short of abstinence, to protect myself from HIV and STIs. No oral, kissing, or anything else. I just wanted to bottom because my partner rarely ever tops me. I wanted to get it out of my system and have an exciting experience and that would be that.

Coming to this forum eased my fears quite a bit, and I was worrying a lot less until this week. My partner told me that on Monday, he had a headache, diarrhea, and a fever that lasted about 24 hours. I know we don't talk about symptoms here, but the timing has me very scared. It was almost exactly 6 weeks since we had sex. I'm worried that might have been a seroconversion illness. I'm hating myself right now. I really hope thgat him being sick like that is just a cruel coincidence that the universe is playing on me to teach me a lesson.

Can you give me your thoughts about this situation? Thank you.

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 11:41:17 AM »
Hi

We do risk assessments here and provide HIV information.

Look go get tested for STI's first of all and than do your follow-up for HIV testing.
If you do have an STI I think you should tell your partner.

Jim

EDIT:

Look I should not and normally don't comment but I will.

My relationship ended as the person I loved lied, cheated and discarded the life we had. Grass was greener on the other side, so I have a sore spot when it comes to this.

Anyhow I think you feel bad because you betrayed 10 years of trust given to you by your partner. Well its not a nice thing to do and nobody here can forgive you as it does not effect us. It up to you but maybe you should start owning up to yourself to what you have done no excuses.

You did something, you took a decision to do something, nobody forced you to cheat, its that simple. The circumstances etc do not make it the right thing or excuse you. That's my view.

If I was you I would decide if you want to save the relationship or not ? If yes start working with your partner on resolving whatever is bothering you now, today do not wait because if you wait whatever the problem will grow and it will ruin it.

I wish you all the best.

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff03301

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »
Jim,
I know I was wrong and there are no excuses. My relationship hasn't been perfect but we've always had pretty good communication. I did reveal my midlife crisis issues as soon as they started and we discussed it at length, along with the occasional check-in. I'm going to confide in him what I've done, I just need to figure out when and how, some time when I'm less depressed and can think straight. This is the lowest I've ever felt. I'm hoping that I can get a negative HIV test in a few weeks so I can clear my mind a little and not go into the talk feeling shitty AND worried. I don't know what it will do to the relationship but it's the right thing to do.

I'm human and I made a mistake. I wish I had resisted the temptation. Yes I had a choice and I chose wrong. Yes I do feel completely disgusted with myself and there's nothing I can do to change it. I'm also so very sorry that I reawakened your bad memories of your relationship ending! You really made your point, though nothing you've said I haven't already told myself. I won't blame you if you are disgusted with me and won't respond to this. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you're done for me and everyone else who posts their concerns here.

(PS I have been tested for all STIs except HIV because it's too soon. I don't have any STIs and haven't passed any on to my partner)

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 06:18:57 PM »
Hi

Look I would not worry too much about what I think, what you need to do is decide for yourself what you are going to do and whatever that is, I wish you all the best and hope things work out for both of you.  I mean that.

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.