Quantcast
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2016, 03:20:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 700592
  • Total Topics: 55547
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Straight Razor (Barber Shop)  (Read 1350 times)

Offline afraidUK

• Standard
Straight Razor (Barber Shop)
« on: June 14, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »
Hello,

I went to get a haircut today. The barber proceeded with the haircut and at some point used a Straight Razor which can fold into its handle. I do not know if the blades can be changed on such a razor. Even if they could have been changed, they have not been. I saw the person before me get a haircut and on whom that razor was used.
    He used it to shave the back of my neck. He did not swipe or put it in a disinfectant solution beforehand. He just wet my neck and started shaving.
    A few hours later I thought about it and I started having some concerns. I put sanitiser on the back of my neck to see if it would sting and it sure did. There is one spot which is slightly red/pink and a little elevated. I talked about it to a friend and he said I should not worry but online I saw that sharing razors is considered a risk even if it is a low risk.
   I would like some advice on how to proceed now. I am anxious in nature and I ideally do not want to test over this specific incident as the wait will drive me crazy (I do test once a year anyway and I did a few months ago (all if fine))
   I hear the virus does not live long on inanimate objects but the time frame was very short and I read studies and the virus does not die in seconds (as mentioned in some places).
   I would like to resume my daily life and not think about this if I don't have to.

So, to the person who reads this, do you think I run the risk of turning hiv positive over this incident in my next scheduled blood test? Do I need to see a physician about it right away? Can I put this all behind me, knowing I am definitely not at risk?

Thank you for reading.

N.

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
Re: Straight Razor (Barber Shop)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
Hi

You had no risk whatsoever, HIV is not transmitted in this way.

Biologically HIV needs to be present for it to be a risk and than to transmit it needs an effective route, in sufficient amounts and it must also reach cells which are susceptible to infection.

You did not meet any of the 4 biological conditions needed.

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline afraidUK

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your quick reply. If there is residual blood from a previous customer on the razor blade, wouldn't that have caused a risk since my skin is irritated and from what I can see there is a tiny cut, size of a needle stick on my neck. It s hard for me to comprehend as potential blood might have mixed with mine even in small amounts?

I am just afraid at this point and I try to see this as rationally as I can. Other websites are vague about the subject and say there is a slim chance but they list it as a possibility.

I just want to know where I stand and not go down the "what if" route if you know what I mean. any piece of advice for me personally?

cheers,

N

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 06:18:53 PM »
Hi

You were at a barber shop and had casual contact, and casual contact is not a risk. Even if he did nick you with the razor, we live in 2016 and we know better about how HIV is transmitted.

I don't comment on what you read online.

Its simple HIV is a very fragile virus that requires specific conditions to survive and than it needs reach specific cell types to infect. HIV does not survive outside the human body (such as on surfaces), and it cannot reproduce outside a human host. Once hiv finds itself exposed outside the body to air, small changes in temperature, pH / moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect.

It was not a risk.

Jim
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline afraidUK

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
Thank you,

As far as I understand I can not post beyond this point, so before I take your word, do you mind me asking what makes you qualified as an administrator and so sure I have not encountered a risk? Also can I continue to have unprotected sex with my girlfriend, without putting her at risk?.

Thank you so much and by all means I don't mean to offend you by asking that question.

N.

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
Did you miss the welcome post ?
All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

We are volunteers living with HIV who use the latest peer studies and guidelines to assist people with questions regarding HIV as a public service.

I would never recommend having unprotected intercourse, simple as. That's how I ended up living with HIV as unprotected intercourse is a risk for transmission, your causal contact at the barber on the other-hand is simply stuff of myths and paranoia.

Take it easy.

Jim
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline afraidUK

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 08:43:40 AM »
Hello,

Yesterday, I cut my pinky finger with the tip of my kitchen knife by accident (did not bleed much) The cut is only 2-3 mm long and I forgot about it after a few hours.

Later that day I went out with friends and towards the end of the evening we went to a bar. I used the urinal twice there and the first time I used it security personnel was present in the bathrooms, looking for suspicious "activity".

I always make sure there is no backsplash towards my face when I use urinals but I am not sure because I thought I felt something hit my eye but I m not sure.

Here are my questions.

1) The knife cut occurred at around 2PM and I started using public bathrooms at around 7PM onwards. Is this somehow a risk as the small cut was on my pinky finger and is exposed to urinal splashes while peeing?

2)If at the bathroom with supposedly "suspicious activity" there was semen or other bodily fluids inside the urinal and they hit my eye or cut? is that a risk?

3) I should add that I am sort of a germaphobe and I used hand sanitiser at least once an hour that evening. Would that make a difference in terms of the cut I had? Like, would it make an infection more easy?

4) Should I test over this incident or is this anxiety driven? On other websites I read some conflicting information on the subject matter.

Thanks a lot.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 08:54:16 AM »
Hi
You have had no risk from this incident...none
The virus is very fragile and would not survive in such conditions.
It is safe for you to move on

Best, Wade

To avoid infection,
You need to be using condoms for all anal and vaginal intercourse until you are in a trusting monogamous relationship and both have been tested for all STIs and HIV.
Everyone who is sexually active should have an annual exam and test for all STIs and HIV ,and always after unprotected intercourse. Always using condoms will give you peace of mind your tests will return with a negative result.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:56:20 AM by Wade »
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline afraidUK

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
Hi,

As far as I understood I am supposed to post in the same thread.

I know hiv does not disciminate and does not spread easily.

I want to get some answers so I can educate myself with your existing knowledge in the field.

I am travelling at the moment and I have encountered some strange random people, got mugged and had a general bad experience here (Paris).

A guy stood really close to me the other day and eye balled me for good knows what reason and since I refused to look at him he threw a brochure on the ground and stared at me madly. I don't know if he was trying to mug me or hit on me but is there any way you can get involuntary infected through for instance being spit on or coughed on when maybe there is blood present?

This might be far fetched and I am sure people don't run around injecting needles into strangers but could it be possible to be stung by a needle in a crowd without noticing?

There was something very off about that guy and I was mugged yesterday night so I m a little on edge.

Do I need to worry, also Thank you for reading this.

*unrelated: Is it safe to have sex without a condom  with a new partner if we both test?

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »
*unrelated: Is it safe to have sex without a condom  with a new partner if we both test?

No, if your partner tests today all it means is he/she was negative 13 weeks ago, also you have increased risks of other STI's. I have already explained unprotected intercourse is a risk and I will never recommend it.

I am travelling at the moment and I have encountered some strange random people, got mugged and had a general bad experience here (Paris).

A guy stood really close to me the other day and eye balled me for good knows what reason and since I refused to look at him he threw a brochure on the ground and stared at me madly. I don't know if he was trying to mug me or hit on me but is there any way you can get involuntary infected through for instance being spit on or coughed on when maybe there is blood present?

This might be far fetched and I am sure people don't run around injecting needles into strangers but could it be possible to be stung by a needle in a crowd without noticing?

There was something very off about that guy and I was mugged yesterday night so I m a little on edge.

Maybe he was in a bad mood who cares, its has nothing to do with HIV or HIV risk.

To answer your spitting item we have already answered this as HIV does not survive outside the human body (such as on surfaces), and it cannot reproduce outside a human host. Once hiv finds itself exposed outside the body to air, small changes in temperature, pH / moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect.  It was not a risk.

Now I say this from a point of kindness, we can not help you here with the no risk questions and if your having fears you need to speak to someone face to face to help you through them.  Please do not post theoretical questions or about no risk situations again otherwise it will lead to a ban.

Jim

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=220.0
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline afraidUK

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »
Hello,

I met up with a guy and slept over at his place, we only cuddled and kissed a lot (I know no risk!) When I woke up the next morning I noticed dark red-brown ish stains on the pillow. He said that he often has "pretty bad" nose bleeds at night. Now I don't know if these were old stains or from that night, as we changed pillows a few times during the night. Is that a risk considering my face eyes, mouth etc would lie on it when in bed.

Thank You!

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 08:10:51 AM »
Hi ,
This was in no way a risk for HIV, body fluids are not infectious once exposed to air 
let alone dried on a surface. If this is your only concern it is safe to move on.

Wade

To avoid infection,
You need to be using condoms for all anal and vaginal intercourse until you are in a trusting monogamous relationship and both have been tested for all STIs and HIV.
Everyone who is sexually active should have an annual exam and test for all STIs and HIV ,and always after unprotected intercourse. Always using condoms will give you peace of mind your tests will return with a negative result.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 08:19:23 AM »
I fully agree with Wade and we have already answered this line of questioning.

HIV does not remain infectious outside the human body (such as on surfaces), and it cannot reproduce outside a human host. Once hiv finds itself exposed outside the body to air, small changes in temperature, pH / moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. 

Even with a subscription the same rules apply, so note this warning Please do not post questions or about no risk situations again otherwise it will lead to a ban. We are volunteers and it is unfair to continue asking us the same no risk question. I mean it, you have some irrational fears if I am honest and need face to face support. We can not offer you this level of support here.

Jim
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline afraidUK

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 12:58:39 PM »
Hello Jim,

I by no means want to take advantage of this online resource. I thank you for your help and of course I am not entitled to ask stupid questions just because "I paud for it". I am very much aware how hiv is spread but not so much how it is not spread and I have a hard time dealing with the confusion.

I am self aware and test at least once a year and ask my partners if they do to and of course I would use condoms if it ever comes to intercourse. However online and on the CDC website, things like french kissing are ambiguous as well as oral sex.

I like the person I was mentioning earlier and I am pretty confident with the situation and risk assessment but for instance he brushed his teeth half an hour before we started kissing, I kissed him and didn t feel afraid afterwards. Some sites say kissing is no risk even with maybe someone having some blood in their mouth like after brushing their teeth. Others like the CDC say that it could be a risk.

Do you have any suggestions on how to go on about this? I want to meet the person again but be safe even when kissing.

Thank You and this will be my last post and I hope I respected the guidelines of the site. (Also I read the information on the site but it didn t have a specific open mouth kissing transission risk)

Cheers and thank you for volunteering.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »
There is no risk for transmittal of the HIV through open mouth kissing.  Either you believe that or you don't.

Your statement about not knowing how the HIV is not spread is logically tantamount to asking people to prove a negative (i.e., prove to me that the HIV is not transmitted by sharing a jelly sandwich, etc.).

All one needs to know is how HIV is spread and to take proper precautions if engaging in the activities in which the HIV is spread.  All other activities do not cause the spread of the HIV.  It's really that simple.

I have read through all your posts, and though I empathize with your concerns, those concerns are simply unfounded, at least as far as the HIV is concerned. 

You may wish to seek face-to-face counseling to rid yourself of these thoughts, if they continue to unduly impact your life.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.