Main Forums > AIDS Activism

Aids Walk Atlanta, thinking of "protesting" Delta Airlines

<< < (2/2)

zach:
i don't think any company is stupid enough to openly fire someone because of their status.

my privacy was violated. to the point that my aids status became common knowledge. then the jokes started. requests for help from human resources, eap, and glen (gay and lesbian employee network) were all ignored.

sorry i asked the question, i was hoping for guidance in unfamiliar waters.

buginme2:

--- Quote from: zach on October 16, 2012, 12:08:14 PM ---i don't think any company is stupid enough to openly fire someone because of their status.

my privacy was violated. to the point that my aids status became common knowledge. then the jokes started. requests for help from human resources, eap, and glen (gay and lesbian employee network) were all ignored.

sorry i asked the question, i was hoping for guidance in unfamiliar waters.

--- End quote ---

Why are you apologizing? 

You posted a link regarding a lawsuit against delta for HIV discrimination and stated you were fired.  Maybe there is some confusion about the question you are asking.

gadawg1979:
I would fight like hell.  Delta is always happy to be in the pride parade make them put up or shut up.  If they do not right this I will be will you walking in front of their float next year claiming bullshit

mecch:
I was wrongfully fired twice in my life.  It doesn't really matter the "rationale", wrongful termination is incredibly stressful and violating.  And to boot it usually is the final act in a work situation that had been poisonous (so add more stress, more damage.) 
So, you need some professional help on two fronts. 

1) You need expert legal advice - is there anything you can do at this point about the wrongful termination - AND - if there is - is it worth doing?

2) probably some expert attention to your PTSD about the experience. (therapist)

The first time I was wrongfully fired, I walked away from the whole situation. Still,  like a bad breakup after a bad patch in a relationship, it takes time to heal.

The second time, I wanted the job and was super pissed at the bad management that allowed my firing.  I got legal and municipal (employee rights) advice, and actually got my job back.  Caveat, i had already started to see the company's independent Mediator before I was fired.  Well, when I got my job back, she warned me that the toxic situation had not been resolved, and it would be an unpleasant work experience, BUT, it was my right to work, and there are of course ways to protect oneself and move the heat away. 

Anyway, just a few weeks back to work, a dramatic event arrived in my personal life that required my attention. (my partner got seriously sick and also had a mental breakdown.)  I requested of management some temporary accommodation so I could take care of private matters (all staff was on yearly flex schedules and nobody needed to work a fixed amount....)  Of course, the response was poison and resistance.  So, I quit.  Irony!

After that experience, once again, there were regrets and a period of healing to get over the PTSD.  In retrospect - I did learn some good lessons about sticking up for myself and my rights.  But I also learned toxic is toxic is toxic and so the contradictory wisdom is that sometimes its foolish to fight for your right to a toxic experience. 

But, its not easy, is it. And these are our jobs and our salaries, which we need!

I would suggest you see experts and listen VERY carefully to the advice they give you on a few fronts.  You did nothing wrong, people did you wrong, and that sucks.  You deserve better.  If you can redress it, fine, but that's not the only issue, now. Because your life has changed and everyone involved is in a new, different "present", and this issue is about the past.

Best of luck with that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version