Subscribe to:
POZ magazine
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2015, 03:11:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

• Total Posts: 679624
  • Total Topics: 52888
  • Online Today: 220
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 142
Total: 147

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV medication availability/cost in Europe?  (Read 364 times)

Offline nyc042

HIV medication availability/cost in Europe?
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
Hi All,

HIV + since 2012. I'm hoping to get my Master's (1-2 year programs) in Germany, France, Switzerland, Norway or Finland but am having SERIOUS difficulties finding out how to estimate the cost and availability of HIV treatment and medications. I'm currently on Complera and would like to stay on it if possible.

I want to know if there are any programs like ADAP in the EU (that an American student can qualify for), and public or private insurance options that offer AFFORDABLE medication and HIV treatment. I know that, for example, public insurance in Germany offers HIV coverage, but how can I figure out the cost/co-pays/availability of doctors and clinics?

If anyone has been in a similar situation or knows of programs in the EU I should look into, please let me know.

Offline sontan

Re: HIV medication availability/cost in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »
Hi nyc042,

From what i've been reading in other forums, Germany is a bit tight on their insurance coverage when it comes to HIV. Don't know about the other countries. I want to do the same plan as you do, so will have to contact the insurance companies soon.

Don't give up on your studies and make sure to stay motivated :)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: HIV medication availability/cost in Europe?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
There is no ADAP in Switzerland.  There are special funds to help poorer SWISS people and SWISS resident pay for mandatory insurance.

All people residing in Switzerland must buy health insurance.  All health insurance companies are private and offer many different kinds of plans and benefits. All health insurance companies offer a "basic" plan that covers EVERYTHING an HIV+ person needs for health care.  All companies MUST accept ANYONE who asks for that company's basic plan.  There are no pre-existing condition blocks.

One of the lowest priced companies is ASSURA.  A 20 year old buying an Assura policy in French-speaking switzerland would pay about 400 CHF - PER MONTH - for a policy that has a 300 CHF annual deductible.    This means he/she would pay 300 francs out of pocket for doctors bills.  There is ALSO a slightly hidden medicine deductible. At ASSSURA, that is 700 francs, maximum.  The insured person pays 10% of perscriptions until the amt paid equals 700 francs. 

The cost of HAART medicine is about the same or slightly cheaper than USA.  The cost of other medicine - not HIV medicine - can be higher or lower than the USA.  Generics are the most expensive generics in the world.  There are NO generic HIV medicines on the market in Switzerland - a "big pharma" country.  All the latest and greatest HIV medicine is available. 

The total cost would be 400x12 4800, plus 1000 deductible.   

There are not drug company copay deals I am aware of.

If you try to get a student VISA to study in Lausanne or Geneva, the Canton is going to ask you to PROVE that you have tens of thousands of dollars to pay for your insurance AND your rent and food.  Fortunately, most university fees are dirt cheap.  You just need to prove you can support yourself.

If you are interested in a specific school, they may be able to direct you to hidden special insurance deals only for visiting students.  Foreign students at my school have these BUT they have enormous deductibles, so it would NOT suit an HIV+ person who is seeing Swiss doctors, getting Swiss labs and buying HIV medicine in Switzerland.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.