Main Forums > Living With HIV

HATE Needles, Passing Out During Labs..Advice?

<< < (3/3)

emeraldize:

--- Quote from: RobbyR on October 12, 2012, 02:41:13 PM ---It's just so embarrassing, and makes me feel stupid.
--- End quote ---
"
Hey, this is part of the involuntary you -- no embarrassment, nothing to feel stupid about. I love your change in attitude and I would add to your plan for next visit that you say -- "Would you please make it a part of my record that I have a vasovagal response and I've been advised by several medical professionals to lie down before the draw and place a cool cloth on my forehead." And take your time before you rise to your feet with someone observing you.

I write this because I sense you foresee there might not be buy-in on the techs' parts. This way, you've made a specific request to make it part of your records and not to be ignored. If your ID doc doesn't know this about you (and they may well not know unless you share it!) get him or her in on it in advance and ask the same thing. That way you can say to the tech, " I spoke with Dr. So and So and it's now been made a part of my medical records that I.....blah, blah, blah" Then, you'll get the respect and care you require.

As to other sites for a draw, hand or forearm are alternates, but the elbow has fewer nerves to deal with and a vein close to the surface. If you've never had a needle in your hand, and I have, I'd advise against it. It's used for certain reasons at certain times, but not a solution in your situation. Frankly, it's freaky and I always find I'm concerned it will be yanked out without the semi-cradle of the elbow area and forearm. I'm a needle watcher from start to finish, but that technique makes me feel on-guard and not relaxed.

So, you know we all want to know WHEN are your next labs likely or scheduled? Cuz we're gonna wanna know how it goes for you and cheer you on!!!

HnyMustard:

--- Quote from: bocker3 on October 11, 2012, 10:11:58 PM ---While this is good advice -- it is not always going to work.  AND -- whether you pass out or not is not about "the good lab tech knowing how to work a patient" (not sure what that means).  They should tell you to breathe, it's true. 

--- End quote ---

Mike--  work the patient.. ie watch for signs and react accordingly. Good nurses know diversion tactics, and know when to ask you to lie down. That, along with technical skill can reduce fainting from blood draws.

I'm talking about the human aspect of invading someone's body with a needle to draw fluid-- say hi, make them comfortable and talk about things to help the patient's mind wander away from the situation.  That's working the patient. Of course the things that help me won't help everyone else, but they're worth a try.

Miss Philicia:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is used to treat anxiety issues of all sort -- why would this not be an option here? I'm thinking for a long-term solution, the shot term one about lying down on a table, etc. Just a thought.

decayingsinner:
I have the same issues. There have been times where I have become faint and it only took twice until I ask if I can lay down.  I have tattoos and can sit through a 3-4 hour session no problem, but the thought of getting blood drawn makes me faint. Usually I bring a piece of fruit or orange juice to keep in the car for afterwards too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version