Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

I can't afford Isentress anymore... drop it? switch?

<< < (2/2)

newt:
An money, money, money...

Since it is possible the tenofovir in Truvada is doing nothing (revisiting your nuke mutations in your older post) and your viral load is too low for a phenotype test, you could consider dropping the tenofovir and the Isentress once your viral load is undetectable and use boosted darunavir + 3TC << 3TC is cheap and many generic versions available. The results from boosted darunavir monotherapy studies for people with suppressed viral load are very good, if still small-scale. Especially if this is a stop gap until you go home next year eh?

But yes, tis a good question, can you afford not to take Isentress? Another one is can you afford/do you want to take nevirapine instead?

- matt

eric48:
More or less nevirapine (viramune) is ca. 1/3 of Isentress (by standard manufacturer list price)

Strangely enough hte OP might have to or want to use NVP because it is cheaper (and a generic is available in some countries and soon everywhere);

Me, if I could be allowed to it, I would have preferred Isentress to Viramune.
In socialized healthcare (at least here), if you can afford to pay for some drugs that gvt has restricted to second line regimen, you are simply not allowed to it.

It just make me so angry and envious that, in the free world, people can opt to pay for their own drugs and not having big gvt have a say so on meds choice.

I am not sure but I think that hte OP is aged 68 and may have started meds with a relatively low or medium- low nadir.

Under such circumstances, considering that a switch is not too risky but not without risk (even if it is a small one), I think the OP does not have hte luxury of a virological failure. Making the switch ca. 6 months after becoming UD should minimize the risk, IMHO, eventhough I can not offer a rationale for this.

Viramune may be a good option to discuss with doc , but I personnaly would be a bit more conservative about the timing for the switch

Hope this helps

Eric

chgo2012:
if you American, sounds like what you should drop is your job. If working abroad doesn't pay enough even for your "life saving" meds, you have no business staying there or anywhere else that you can't take care of your health properly. At least in America you have some access.

When I think about the facility some other countries offer (i.e. Brasil)  I think seriously in drop everything and get the hell out of here.

emeraldize:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on October 05, 2012, 08:17:42 PM ---His older posts indicate he's a US citizen living/working in Australia, and one of the conditions for working there was that he have private insurance.

--- End quote ---

If he (You Blue1) has insurance that covers some of the med costs, why not check into co-pay assistance available from Merck and Gilead and all the rest of the makers of his regimen's meds? I'm not aware of any that don't offer co-pay assistance if the person is eligible.

Thanks to BillyB, I've used this option for more than a year and it's saved a considerable amount of money.

mikeyb39:
i know its a long flight, but is there anyway to get your meds 6 months at a time and fly back to the states to get your refills.  i could be missing the whole point here because i just skimmed the post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version