Main Forums > Living With HIV

Meningitis outbreak among HIV infected men in NYC

<< < (2/3) > >>

mecch:
I never heard of a vaccine, thanks.
And that NYC story is terrible.

wolfter:
There has been a vacine for bacterial meningits for a long time now, but none for viral or fungal.

I questioned my doctor about this new form because of my history and he didn't see the need.  I don't fall within the risk group.  Having controlled HIV doesn't play a role. 

Wolfie

Assurbanipal:

--- Quote from: Ann on September 29, 2012, 04:15:44 PM ---Drew, Bugsie beat you to it and already posted a thread about meningitis, so I merged them.

Isn't there a meningitis vaccine out these days?

Um, I just read Drew's second link and discovered there is a vaccine, but that we don't necessarily need to get it. I wonder why they don't seem to be encouraging poz people in NYC to get it?

eddied cuz Ah cun't spill

--- End quote ---

I was reading about this on the joe my god blog and came over here to see what you guys thought

He had a recent post that the NYC dept of health has ordered 10000 copies of the vaccine    http://www.joemygod.blogspot.com/2012/09/nyc-orders-10000-meningitis-vaccine.html

Ann:

--- Quote from: Assurbanipal on September 30, 2012, 06:03:50 PM ---I was reading about this on the joe my god blog and came over here to see what you guys thought

He had a recent post that the NYC dept of health has ordered 10000 copies of the vaccine    http://www.joemygod.blogspot.com/2012/09/nyc-orders-10000-meningitis-vaccine.html

--- End quote ---

Thanks! Good to know NYC DoH is doing something.

Assurbanipal:
AIDSmeds has an article out yesterday.  And the following was posted to the NYC SIN list yesterday.

HEALTH DEPARTMENT RECOMMENDS VACCINATION FOR HIV-POSITIVE MEN AT HIGH RISK OF MENINGITIS

Free vaccinations available beginning Friday, October 5 for people who cannot get vaccine from their health care provider

October 4, 2012 The Health Department issued recommendations today for vaccinating against invasive meningococcal disease commonly known as meningitis after a spike of cases reported over the past five weeks. The Department is advising vaccinations for any man who is HIV positive and has had intimate contact with another man that he met through a website, digital application ("App"), or at a bar or party since September 1, 2012. Vaccine will be available starting Friday at medical facilities throughout the city for men who meet these criteria but who cannot obtain it from their HIV care providers.
 The outbreak of invasive meningococcal disease among HIV-positive men in New York City is completely unrelated to the outbreak of meningitis in several states that is caused by a contaminated medication.
 Vaccination prevents but does not treat current infection. Common symptoms of meningitis are high fever, headache, stiff neck, and rash that develop rapidly upon onset. Symptoms may occur 2 to 10 days after exposure, but usually within 5 days. People who are HIV-positive and who experience these symptoms should seek medical care immediately.
 Because the vaccine is best given in the context of regular medical care for HIV infection, people should first check with the medical care provider that treats them for HIV infection to ask if they have the vaccine. If the medical provider does not have the vaccine, people should visit one of the HIV clinics in select New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation sites listed below. New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation clinics will waive their co-pay requirements for two months for people who have insurance. The Health Department's clinics will also be able to administer the vaccine for those people who cannot obtain vaccine from their medical providers or a New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation clinic. Locations are listed here. Individuals who meet some, but not all, of the criteria are advised to discuss their need for vaccination with their medical provider.
 Vaccine locations at select HIV clinics in Health and Hospitals Corporation sites:
 Bronx
 Jacobi Medical Center
 Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center
 Brooklyn
 Coney Island Hospital
 Kings County Hospital Center
 Woodhull Medical and Mental Health Center
 Manhattan
 Bellevue Hospital Center
 Harlem Hospital Center
 Queens
 Elmhurst Hospital Center
 Queens Hospital Center

To find an HIV care provider or location to get a vaccine call 311. For more information search "Meningitis" at www.nyc.gov.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version