Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Another newbie

(1/4) > >>

vertigo:
Hi All,

Have been reading these boards since May and thought it was finally time to post and say hello.

I'm a 41 y/o gay guy.  Contracted HIV this past April.  Tested three weeks post-exposure: Western Blot negative but RNA test positive, with VL 586,000.  Complete labs done in May: VL 181,000 and CD4 525 / 30.9%.  Western Blot also positive at that time.  Genotyping shows no resistance.  No other STI's.

The first week was pretty awful, frankly.  Was terrified I might have infected my partner (the risky sex was extra-curricular).  Thankfully that did not turn out to be the case, and it's been a steady process of adapting to the new reality since then.  These forums have been a great help, and thanks to all here for such a good exchange of information and emotional support.

My doc had some dire warnings how the first year could be really hard, both emotionally and physically.  I spent the summer waiting for the shoe to drop, but honestly I feel fine. Have always been very fit -- runner, weights --  and my routine hasn't changed.  It helps a lot that my partner and I are still together, though it was touch-and-go for a while.

So just got my 2nd full set of labs done:  VL 82,000  CD4 633 / 22.6%  Was hoping my VL set point would be lower, but it is what it is.  I don't really want to start treatment yet, and doc says he is ok with me waiting.  Am certainly aware of the good arguments otherwise.  Any thoughts from the pros on here?

Best -

mecch:
Why don't you want to start treatment yet.

jkinatl2:
Hello! Welcome to the forums! Sorry you had to find us, glad you did.

Good to have a partner who is supportive. That's always a plus.

Your numbers are OK, and your viral load, while high, is consistent with a new-ish infection. If it stays that high, however, you might want to consider treatment. You will notice that your energy level might start to decline otherwise. Your body is, after all, pretty busy fighting.

Lots of people talk about how much more energy theyhad after the drugs knocked their viral load down to undetectable, so it's a quality of life think in that respect. In addition, the lower your viral load, the less potential risk to your partner if there should be a condom slip/rupture. Just some stuff to consider.

intheusa:
On your first western blot,  did any of the markers come up?  If so which ones .    Need help understand how  this test missed all the markers.  I figured afew might pop up. 

jkinatl2:

--- Quote from: intheusa on September 26, 2012, 09:15:39 PM ---On your first western blot,  did any of the markers come up?  If so which ones .    Need help understand how  this test missed all the markers.  I figured afew might pop up. 

--- End quote ---

Are you HIV positive, intheusa? YOu have posted three questions, and they seem to be centered on testing. You surely know that only HIV positive people are allowed to post anywhere besides "Am I Infected," "Someone I Care About Has HIV," and "Off Topic."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version