Main Forums > Living With HIV

Unprotected sex, disclosure and sexual health clinics

(1/64) > >>

Zohar:
If you have unprotected sex with strangers without disclosing your status would you then tell your sexual health doctor?

This happened today, and upon revealing that I hadn't used condoms with the people that I'd had sex with most recently, the doctor went into 'stern' mode. I told him that people were having sex with of their own volition and that if they wanted the sex to be unprotected then it was their choice. His response was that they only had a 'real' choice if I told them I was positive. Hmmm...

I didn't wish to continue this line of conversation so asked that we move on.

I know that doctors see it as their job to 'educate' about safer sex, but it irks me that they're peddling the view that it's the one (diagnosed) with HIV that has to take responsibility. And it did make me think I'd probably just lie in future to avoid being lectured.

So, when asked by doctors/nurses, are you inclined to tell them the truth about your condomless encounters, or not?

Buckmark:
Whether or not you disclosed to sex partner doesn't make a difference in how you should be treated medically.   So why even discuss with the doctor that you did / did not disclose?



Jeff G:

--- Quote from: Zohar on September 21, 2012, 03:57:26 PM ---If you have unprotected sex with strangers without disclosing your status would you then tell your sexual health doctor?

This happened today, and upon revealing that I hadn't used condoms with the people that I'd had sex with most recently, the doctor went into 'stern' mode. I told him that people were having sex with of their own volition and that if they wanted the sex to be unprotected then it was their choice. His response was that they only had a 'real' choice if I told them I was positive. Hmmm...

I didn't wish to continue this line of conversation so asked that we move on.

I know that doctors see it as their job to 'educate' about safer sex, but it irks me that they're peddling the view that it's the one (diagnosed) with HIV that has to take responsibility. And it did make me think I'd probably just lie in future to avoid being lectured.

So, when asked by doctors/nurses, are you inclined to tell them the truth about your condomless encounters, or not?

--- End quote ---

I always disclose before sex and would only have unprotected sex with others who live with HIV .

I assume you are talking about low risk activity's with people of unknown status when you say you are having unprotected sex without disclosing right ?

Zohar:

--- Quote from: jg1962 on September 21, 2012, 05:26:06 PM ---I assume you are talking about low risk activity's with people of unknown status when you say you are having unprotected sex without disclosing right ?

--- End quote ---

I'm talking about penetrative sex.

Zohar:

--- Quote from: Buckmark on September 21, 2012, 05:15:09 PM ---Whether or not you disclosed to sex partner doesn't make a difference in how you should be treated medically.   So why even discuss with the doctor that you did / did not disclose?

--- End quote ---

Good point. But these questions are a standard part of sexual health consultations, at least here in the UK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version