Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

LIFE INSURANCE

<< < (2/8) > >>

Ann:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on September 18, 2012, 09:53:23 PM ---I thought exactly the same thing. What's the point?

--- End quote ---

Paying funeral/burial/cremation expenses? I think there are other ways of doing this (pre-paying, which I believe some firms will do, dunno for sure) but I don't think most people fancy the idea of being buried in Pauper's Field (or whatever it's called locally).

Life insurance is something I definitely need to look into. I don't want my daughter getting stuck paying to clear up whatever mess I leave behind, including disposing of my earthly remains.

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: Ann on September 19, 2012, 06:17:20 AM ---Paying funeral/burial/cremation expenses? I think there are other ways of doing this (pre-paying, which I believe some firms will do, dunno for sure) but I don't think most people fancy the idea of being buried in Pauper's Field (or whatever it's called locally).

Life insurance is something I definitely need to look into. I don't want my daughter getting stuck paying to clear up whatever mess I leave behind, including disposing of my earthly remains.

--- End quote ---

Yes, you can make pre-paid arrangements for cremation, etc. I suppose simply having enough money in your savings account when you croak may work too.

Ann:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on September 19, 2012, 09:48:10 AM ---Yes, you can make pre-paid arrangements for cremation, etc. I suppose simply having enough money in your savings account when you croak may work too.

--- End quote ---

I suppose that would work too, but when you live hand-to-mouth it can be super difficult to get enough savings in your account to amount to much. Also, if you're on assistance, you're often only permitted a certain amount of savings which isn't much, at least where I live. Last time I looked into burial/cremation expenses where I live, I just about had a heart-attack. Ironic when you think about it. ;D

scotty54:
Hello DC2nice,
Only a short note to wish you well.  Do not want to hijack the thread...but hope you are remaining chipper with new hepatitis C treatments surfacing.

At 58 with HIV and heart disease I certainly wrestle with thoughts of mortality.

Stay healthy....you are going to outlive us all.   :)

Miss Philicia:

--- Quote from: Ann on September 19, 2012, 10:47:41 AM ---I suppose that would work too, but when you live hand-to-mouth it can be super difficult to get enough savings in your account to amount to much. Also, if you're on assistance, you're often only permitted a certain amount of savings which isn't much, at least where I live. Last time I looked into burial/cremation expenses where I live, I just about had a heart-attack. Ironic when you think about it. ;D

--- End quote ---

wut

If you can afford $60/mo for life insurance I would think you could afford pre-paying for cremation. That doesn't count as "savings".

And if you're not on public assistance then you can just have money in savings, or some other financial instrument.

Still, the OP says they have "no family" -- obviously this at least means children, but also potentially no survivors at all. No parents or siblings -- if so, and if on limited income, why waste money at all? Why care what happens to your cold corpse?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version