Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

LIFE INSURANCE

<< < (3/8) > >>

JR Gabbard:

--- Quote from: Miss Philicia on September 19, 2012, 12:01:20 PM ---
Still, the OP says they have "no family" -- obviously this at least means children, but also potentially no survivors at all. No parents or siblings -- if so, and if on limited income, why waste money at all? Why care what happens to your cold corpse?

--- End quote ---

Personal responsibility pops to mind.  The peace of mind that comes with knowing how your remains will be treated might also be a reason.

Having said that, $60/mo or $720/yr seems a little steep for a $25,000 policy.  But if you pay into the policy for less than 34 years, you are money ahead.

Even so, the policy would have to specify a beneficiary.  Presumably, that would be the person who is going to oversee your "final arrangements."

mecch:
I guess it will cost something to get rid of my body. Wouldn't it be grand if I just flew off a cliff skiing (and nobody knew where so there were no search or recovery costs), or disappeared deep into the ocean, and there was no burial costs.  No plots. Its so strange here in switzerland - if you get buried and you're an average person, you only stay in the ground a few decades.  Then your grave is dug up, disposed of, and the space is reused.  On the good side, the cemetaries are spectacular with gorgeous landscaping, manicured trees, and 4 seasons of planted flowers!  Very few people have permanent graves.

In my case, and many others?, the logistically bigger and sadder task will be getting rid of all my worldly possessions.  This wasn't fun when my Uncle died - nobody wanted any of it. It was sad and somewhat disrespectful throwing away everything he cared about.  It was better when my greatgrandma died, there was plenty of stuff everyone wanted. And a house! Everyone loves a decent estate check! Or, just a nice old easter majolica plate. An art deco vase of no great value except its great to look at.  An old brass lamp. Etc etc.

I'll have no property and all my crap will likely be here in Switzerland, far from my family.   I'll have to leave someone some money to clean up my trace but as things stand, there will be no great savings accounts, no stocks, no nothing really. Endless divine nicknacks that only delight my eyes, while I'm still living.

These are interesting, existential questions.

My ancient grandmother has had the unique privilege and pleasure of being of very sturdy German stock.  She used to have her share of worldly possessions and over the years of her 70's, 80's and now 90's, reduced it all to her simple lifestyle of today. The jewelry she herself received from her aunt, also lived forever.  Great great aunt started giving it away in her 60s.  My grandma bought her plot years ago, when my grand pa died. She was 50. She pre-paid for her funeral in recent years. Its going to be rather nice to go say goodbye to a most beloved grandma, at her funeral and have her simply be gone without a big expense or clean up task. She has no more money, just what she needs to live to the end.  I mean it would be great to be looking at an inheritance but its also quite lovely that we just have had her lovely self, all these decades, and no selfish other concerns. 
I am thinking of Brooke Astor, who loved giving it away for decades and decades, but also still had a lot when finally in her very late 90's she went senile. Her son started stealing all her possessions and looting her accounts before she was dead. It was deplorable.

Assurbanipal:
If you are looking for modest amounts of coverage as burial insurance, some credit unions give away small amounts ($1,000) free as a benefit of membership. 

Mine does -- It's really a marketing partnership with an insurer that wants to sell insurance in larger amounts -- if you take the $1000 coverage they then try to sell you a larger amount, but you don't have to sign up. 

PM me if you want the details of the credit union -- this is one of the larger one's that is open to just about every one. 

WillyWump:

--- Quote from: mecch on September 19, 2012, 07:30:55 PM ---- if you get buried and you're an average person, you only stay in the ground a few decades.  Then your grave is dug up, disposed of, and the space is reused. 

--- End quote ---

LOLWUT?

That's hillarious stuff. What do they do with your remains once they dig you up?

-W

Solo_LTSurvivor:

--- Quote from: WillyWump on September 19, 2012, 09:54:11 PM ---LOLWUT?

That's hillarious stuff. What do they do with your remains once they dig you up?

-W

--- End quote ---

Obviously you need to move out of your cuisinary comfort zone of just frying squash and expand your horizons  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version