POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:50:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640732
  • Total Topics: 48671
  • Online Today: 200
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 169
Total: 170

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: United Healthcare Allows Opt-Out of Mail-Order HIV Meds  (Read 963 times)

Offline Since1993

United Healthcare Allows Opt-Out of Mail-Order HIV Meds
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:46:48 PM »
http://www.poz.com/articles/united_healthcare_1_26165.shtml

September 11, 2014

United Healthcare Allows Opt-Out of Mail-Order HIV Meds

In 2013, United Healthcare faced a national class action lawsuit alleging its mandatory mail-order requirement illegally targeted patients living with HIV/AIDS. According to a statement from Consumer Watchdog and Whatley Kallas LLP, the groups that brought the suit, a court-approved settlement was reached July 31. Starting September 4, HIV-positive United Healthcare patients can now opt-out of that requirement.

The suit spotlighted several problems. People with HIV/AIDS were increasingly facing mixed-ups medications, delayed deliveries, spoiled shipments and privacy concerns. Being forced to order their meds from the United Healthcare OptumRx mail-order program also denied these patients the ability to consult with their local pharmacists. Patients can now obtain a permanent exemption from the program.

To opt-out, patients need to state that they have concerns about privacy or delivery, or if they are unable to effectively talk on the phone because of an HIV-related neurocognitive disorder or other HIV-related impairment. Patients can submit a form downloadable here:

http://www.unitedhivsettlement.com/Documents/UHD0001/UHD%20-%20Opt%20Out%20Form.pdf

or call 866.803.8570 to be exempted. Patients also need to identify the in-network pharmacy they will use to get their HIV medications.

Offline buginme2

Re: United Healthcare Allows Opt-Out of Mail-Order HIV Meds
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »
I received a letter from my insurance company just this afternoon offering me one hundred dollars if I would switch to mail order.  Of course I threw it away.  I won't do that until they force me to, at which point I'm going to throw a world class fit.

I have Aetna.

Offline ChavinKnight

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:49:24 AM »
We should all keep fighting to avoid being forced into mail order.  I filed a grievance with my insurance company and enclosed a copy of the United lawsuit filed by consumer watchdog.  I was allowed to go to any retail pharmacy of my choice.  Problems with mail order are numerous.  Express scripts won't allow you to use the copay assistance card.  Pharmacy benefit managers divert people to fill prescriptions through mail order pharmacies that they own.  It is a blatant conflict of interest.  Not to mention poor patient care.  I have no doubt that Aetna offered you $100 to switch to mail order.  They stand to vastly increase their return in a very short time.
No pharmaceutical treatment for ~ 9 years; VL never above 450, half the time undetectable, cd4 >= 622
November 2013--Began treatment with Stribild; VL 120, cd4 585
December 2013--VL undetectable, cd4 = 722 (32.8%)
March 2014--VL undetectable, cd4 = 695 (30.2%)
June 2014--VL undetectable, cd4 = 602 (33.7%)

Offline Irish Eyes

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 01:30:47 AM »
Blue Shield Blue Cross tried to have me change to mail order.
Given the cost of Stribild, & to save someone along the line some money, I was willing to convert to mail order as it costs me zero dollars.

After questioning, apparently the savings to insurance company between picking up at my pharmacy and mail order was approx $0.45 cents.

Given the issues others have had with mail order I decided to opt out, and pickup myself.

Trying to save 45cents a month on a med which costs $2500+ is pretty pathetic.
10/30/13          Exposure
Mid-Nov-Jan    Seroconversion (7-8 rough wks)
12.26.2013      WB dx. HIV+
02.01.2014      OraQuick (result Negative?)
01.31.2014      VL 250700
02.03.2014      CD4  491  26%
02.26.2014      CD4  503  26%
03.05.2014      HLA B6701  not present
03.18.2014      VL 530873 (typical fluctuation)
03.21.2014      Start Stribild
04.14.2014      VL 104 after 24 doses
05.12.2014      VL 129 after 52 doses
06.10.2014      CD4 940 32%
06.11.2014      VL 87
07.22.2014      VL 20
09.23.2014      VL 43

Offline Kmg1947

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »
As far as mail orders. I am curious to know is there any $ saved. The other thing is "privacy" is there any with mail orders?

Just wanted to know

K
Loving Life through the Ups & Downs.

K

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
As far as mail orders. I am curious to know is there any $ saved. The other thing is "privacy" is there any with mail orders?

Just wanted to know

K
There is no cost difference and I'm not sure what your privacy question is.  When the meds are delivered, it's not obvious at all what's in the package.  To think of it, it's probably more private as you don't have someone behind you in line at a brick and mortar store listening to your conversation and checking out your scripts.

I use CVS through United and am totally happy with the delivery option. 
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline Ptrk3

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 05:13:45 PM »
The cost differential of retail or mail order depends on the carrier.  In my case, with the policy I have with BlueCross/BlueShield, I can get a one month supply of Atripla at a retail pharmacy for a 30 percent co-pay (about $525 in copay) or a 90-day supply of Atripla through CVS Caremark via mail for an $80 dollar co-pay!  In other words, I can opt to get three 30-day bottles of Atripla at a total co-pay of $1,575 or 90 day supply of Atripla (three bottles) through the mail for a total co-pay of $80. 

Of course, I get the meds by mail, since it is a fraction of the cost.  If there were no difference in co-pay, I would rather get it at a retail pharmacy, but for a difference of $1,495 for the same supply, I do it by mail.

Others on this forum may be subject to similar terms, so you really need to check out the details of your policy.  I don't know why there is such a difference in price, but there you go!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 05:37:16 PM »
I thought we were disucssing United.   
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »
I wish I could opt out. Acreedo/ExpressScripts has been a monthly nightmare.
31 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »
As far as mail orders. I am curious to know is there any $ saved.
it depends. Now this thread is about United Healthcare and they may have different policies. However in some states (like mine, SC), an ASO (AIDS Service Org) can order through an ADAP approved pharmacy at discounted cost. I forget exactly what proviso in the Ryan White Care Act they do this through; but it allows the state ADAP to "refund" the difference between the regular price and this discounted price to the ASOs. Many people living with HIV receive more health care than they would have when the ASOs utilize these funds.

The other thing is "privacy" is there any with mail orders?
this depends too. If you don't live alone there are family, roommates, and neighbors who might see the package. Of course, if they are rude enough to ask, you should be rude enough to politely tell them it's none of their business.... or make up a good lie. LOL But for some people, there are privacy issues with home-delivery.

For others, like wolfie mentioned, there are privacy issues going to the pharmacy. Not only might someone in line see your order, or overhear the pharmacist talking about your medications; but the pharmacist himself and the clerk who rings up your purchase all will know YOU and the MEDS you take. (If I didn't attend an annual fund-raiser or, as an advocate, set up a display booth near the one for my pharmacy, for my pharmacist I would just be a voice on the phone re-ordering my HIV meds every month LOL)

Of course, depending on where you live, delivery could have it's advantages; or pickup inside a story (or drive-through) could be the ticket. You have to weight the options of what's best for your situation ...... and what your insurance or paying agency for your meds will allow ;)

on a side note (or is this a side note to a side note. I'm gotten confused LOL), sadly a lot of people have issues coming to grips with being HIV+. These people think on it all the time, worrying about how long they'll live, whether a cure is coming, and who'll know their status. I think they feel like there's a big red letter "A" glowing on their chest. When a package from a pharmacy comes in my mailbox, my housemates and my postal carrier have no idea those are HIV meds inside. When I take a couple of pills with dinner at the restaurant, the people at the next table have no idea whether I have HIV, a heart condition, or high blood pressure. So having the right attitude about meds (and HIV) can help not only in the taking; but in the pick up too ;)

I thought we were disucssing United.   
sorry about the interruption for a teaching moment ;)  :-*
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »
We should all keep fighting to avoid being forced into mail order.  I filed a grievance with my insurance company and enclosed a copy of the United lawsuit filed by consumer watchdog.  I was allowed to go to any retail pharmacy of my choice.  Problems with mail order are numerous.  Express scripts won't allow you to use the copay assistance card.  Pharmacy benefit managers divert people to fill prescriptions through mail order pharmacies that they own.  It is a blatant conflict of interest.  Not to mention poor patient care.  I have no doubt that Aetna offered you $100 to switch to mail order.  They stand to vastly increase their return in a very short time.

I'm wondering which insurance company granted you my fairy tale wish.

Offline Ptrk3

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »
True, United Healthcare was the carrier in the lead subject, but one of the other commenters mentioned Blue Cross and mail order, so I thought I'd mention just for information purposes.  Sorry.  Feel free to ignore ;).

Offline mitch777

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »
True, United Healthcare was the carrier in the lead subject, but one of the other commenters mentioned Blue Cross and mail order, so I thought I'd mention just for information purposes.  Sorry.  Feel free to ignore ;).

I think the most important part of the topic is the mail order issue, not the particular insurance company.
I have Blue Cross/Anthem myself. Why limit the conversation?

(not you Ptrk3)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
Sorry, been sniffing paint fumes all day.  I can see how that looked snippy and it wasn't meant to be.  I thought I was getting confused...that's all.  That happens all too often these days. :o

I think KMG mentioned somewhere that she has United.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 06:06:28 PM »
Sorry, been sniffing paint fumes all day.  I can see how that looked snippy and it wasn't meant to be.  I thought I was getting confused...that's all.  That happens all too often these days. :o

It didn't sound snippy. I just think the important part of the title was the option to "opt out". Hope your paint fume high either goes away or lasts depending upon your desire at the moment. lol.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 06:09:06 PM »
It didn't sound snippy. I just think the important part of the title was the option to "opt out". Hope your paint fume high either goes away or lasts depending upon your desire at the moment. lol.

Oh no, I'm getting ready to jump in the newly completed Jacuzzi tub.  Already have a bottle of wine uncorked and candles ready.  I know that's uber gay, but that's me.  Spend all day working hard then pamper myself.  ;)

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »
I'm getting ready to jump in the newly completed Jacuzzi tub.  Already have a bottle of wine uncorked and candles ready
I am picturing this in my head  ;) :P 8)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 07:43:51 PM »

I have ExpressScripts through BC-BS. I am able to refill my three HIV meds locally monthly. ExpressScripts would like me to use their mail order, but I am not required to. I use copay assistance on all three locally.

Does ExpressScripts forbid you from refilling or are they just making look like they forbid you?
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline Irish Eyes

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 08:19:57 PM »

Mine is BC/BS (or BS/BC) Anthem. They mailed out a letter requesting to change to Acreedo mail order or opt out.
I opted out, till 12/31/2099.
Yes they actually had to enter a date into their system.

I had to smile, I'll be about 130 then.
Who knew a simple phone call to opt out would increase my lifespan.
Happy days :)
06.11.2014      VL 87
07.22.2014      VL 20
09.23.2014      VL 43

Offline buginme2

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
My insurance company has offered me $100 to go to mail order but that haven't required it (as of yet) I wonder is it just private insurance that you purchase on the marketplace that requires it or is it also employer based insurance that requires it also.  Also, I wonder is it the specific plan that the employer is choosing our is it system wide.

I have Aetna, they don't require it for me..do they require mail order for others?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 08:35:03 PM »

Does ExpressScripts forbid you from refilling or are they just making look like they forbid you?

My policy from Anthem forbids me from using anyone else but ExpressScripts and in turn Acreedo as they are contracted by ES for providing "specialty" meds. My so called "choice" is buy it from them or pay full price out of pocket.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »
Mine is BC/BS (or BS/BC) Anthem. They mailed out a letter requesting to change to Acreedo mail order or opt out.
I opted out, till 12/31/2099.
Yes they actually had to enter a date into their system.

I had to smile, I'll be about 130 then.
Who knew a simple phone call to opt out would increase my lifespan.
Happy days :)

Ahhh... California laws saved your butt.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »
My insurance company has offered me $100 to go to mail order but that haven't required it (as of yet) I wonder is it just private insurance that you purchase on the marketplace that requires it or is it also employer based insurance that requires it also.  Also, I wonder is it the specific plan that the employer is choosing our is it system wide.

I have Aetna, they don't require it for me..do they require mail order for others?

I asked someone at Anthem if every policy they have requires the use of ES and therefore Acreedo and she said yes. I have gotten false information in the past so I don't know what to believe any more. I'm sure state laws come into play as well.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 08:59:46 PM »
Have you tried contacting your states insurance commissioner for assistance or at least to for a complaint?  If not I would definitely do that they need to know about this.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
Have you tried contacting your states insurance commissioner for assistance or at least to for a complaint?  If not I would definitely do that they need to know about this.

Yes. Even though I read the statute in regards to insurance companies NOT being allowed to force people to buy meds via mail order apparently their lawyers seem to find that a "specialty pharmacy" (even though they do nothing but send meds through the mail) is another animal and the law doesn't apply to them. *mind boggled*
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:11:03 PM by mitch777 »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 09:14:16 PM »
Yes. Even though I read the statute in regards to insurance companies NOT being allowed to force people to buy meds via mail order apparently their lawyers seem to find that a "specialty pharmacy" (even though they do nothing but send meds through the mail) is another animal and the law doesn't apply to them. *mind boggled*

Lawyers...ugh

Offline mitch777

Offline Irish Eyes

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 11:05:59 PM »
Ahhh... California laws saved your butt.

Figuratively speaking. Of course. lol
06.11.2014      VL 87
07.22.2014      VL 20
09.23.2014      VL 43

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »

I have Aetna, through my employer.  The strongly push you toward mail order, but I can fill at a local CVS, for mail order copay.  EXCEPT for meds that must go through Specialty Pharmacy  -- so for me that's Atripla, Reyataz and Norvir.  I fill all my other maintenance meds at the CVS down the street.   I haven't had any real issues with the Specialty Pharmacy, thus far - though, I quickly hang up and call back if I get someone on the phone who isn't seeming to take my needs seriously (only once, so far).
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline buginme2

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 11:35:01 AM »
So Aetna requires bocker to get his hiv meds mail order but not me.  Hmmm must be different policies/plans, state laws??

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 11:58:41 AM »
So Aetna requires bocker to get his hiv meds mail order but not me.  Hmmm must be different policies/plans, state laws??

Technically, they require me to get my HIV meds through their Specialty Pharmacy, not their Mail Order Pharmacy.  these are actually separate sites, phone numbers, etc.  Although, from a practical POV, yes.

Not sure how much is driven by state laws vs. employer's wishes.  I know my employer is self-insured, so they likely set most of the rules.

M
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline Ptrk3

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
Oh, the vagaries and vicissitudes of the sundry insurance carriers!  My Atripla (not through United Healthcare, but Blue Cross/Blue Shield) recently changed from "specialty" pharmacy (mail order via CVS Caremark) to "regular" Tier 2 mail order (also via CVS Caremark), but the copay went down from $95 for a three month supply to $80 for a three month supply, either of which is far better than the $500-plus copay for a retail pharmacy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 08:53:09 AM »
I guess I've spoken too often how much I adore the mail order option instead of diriving to the city to get them.

Since switching to my current regimen, I've not been able to build a reserve and have been cutting it close every month.  I rec'd my standard call last week and we reviewed the order and it was scheduled to arrive yesterday.  I run out tomorrow.

I rec'd another automated call yesterday afternoon that I needed to call them to place my monthly order.  After getting through to them, the rep started going through the whole thing like it was a new order.  I interupted her to explain the order had already been placed and scheduled for delivery.

It was a quick; "well I don't know what happened but about your new order".  With all the BS I've dealt with lately of less than adequate care, I went immediately into assertive mode.  After finally being transferred to a "supervisor", I expressed my displeasure since I'll run out of meds in less than a day. 

I then said I'd simply pick them up in the city since I have to go there today anyways.  That's the first time I learned that I can't actually go to a brick and mortar store.  The option is to have them shipped there for me to pick up.  WTF, who would choose that? 

She reluctantly agreed to express over night delivery.  I also explained that I needed it released to leave the package since I'll be gone most of the day and would not being available to sit home all day waiting on a package.  She said they can't send it release of signature.  I threw it back at her and asked how she was going to resolve this issue that they created.

She finally agreed to express overnight time with guaranteed delivery by 10:30.  I guess we'll see.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »
I got a call from Arriva Medical last night, I get me diabetes testing supply's from them and they are a pain in the ass and will call me over and over again trying to get me to reorder even when I do not need supplies . They called last night and the recorded message said to stay on the line for a rep. and that I was now going to get all my prescription meds from them . I knew better than to hang up because if I do that they will call back twice a day until I talk to them anyway . I told her I was not now or ever going to order my meds from them and long story short I had to hang up on her because she wasn't taking no as an answer .   

I have had trouble with this company trying to sell me products that they can bill medicare for and I think it unethical ... They were pressuring me to agree to let them send a request to my doctor for a script for products I told them I do not need . I find it outrageous that they are allowed to solicit patients and pressure them into buying products you do not need and then initiating a script from your doctor for a medical device that you have never discussed a need for with your physician . Unless I am forced to do so I will never use a mail order pharmacy and plan on making arrangements with my doctor to stop using the this company for my diabetes supply also .   

Offline wolfter

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 09:22:02 AM »
That's crazy Jeff.  Seems there should be a way to report this and have them investigated.  Wonder how many people just say sure?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »
That's crazy Jeff.  Seems there should be a way to report this and have them investigated.  Wonder how many people just say sure?

I am going to report them to medicare today ... medicare has a fraud prevention tool so you can report abuse .

Offline wolfter

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »
Cool, meds just arrived.  That means I should have built up a 1 day reserve.  :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 09:59:08 AM »
Here is a link to report anonymously https://forms.oig.hhs.gov/hotlineoperations/

Offline mitch777

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 06:03:34 PM »
I'm glad you got your meds Greg but sorry to hear that they needed to ship them. Seems crazy to me! I'm just wondering if that local CVS already had them sitting on the shelf. If so, the system sucks worse in your case than I would have thought. Boggles my mind.

And Jeff, good for you! It's companies like the ones you are dealing with that bring the cost of everyones healthcare up. Those piglets need their tails cut off. >:(

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 06:42:12 PM »
Those piglets need their tails cut off. >:(

Or we could get Alan to slap the dog piss out of them  ;) .

Offline mitch777

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »
Or we could get Alan to slap the dog piss out of them  ;) .

lol. Good plan!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.